This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphing with node red and signalK
Here is a second run - ran fine until the type error. BTW, both this and the previous crash happened within a minute of restarting the signalk server. I also don't understand why signalk doesn't start up when opnplotter starts - I get no output on the signalk diagnostic window until I restart the signalk server.

pi@openplotter:~ $ openplotter
GET /signalk 200 10.308 ms - 194
GET /signalk 200 4.394 ms - 194
Connection is already closed.
Connection is already closed.
Signal K starting
No settings/defaults.json available
[Errno 111] Connection refused
signalk-server running at 0.0.0.0:3000

Cannot open NGT-1-A device /dev/ttyOP_N2K

GET /signalk/v1/api/vessels/self 200 47.806 ms - 19
no unit for navigation.gnss.differentialReference
no unit for navigation.gnss.horizontalDilution
no unit for navigation.gnss.geoidalSeparation
no unit for navigation.gnss.satellites
no unit for navigation.gnss.quality
TypeError: Cannot read property 'toUpperCase' of undefined
at NMEA0183._decoder (/home/pi/.config/signalk-server-node/node_modules/nmea0183-signalk/codecs/GLL.js:52:15)
at NMEA0183.decode (/home/pi/.config/signalk-server-node/node_modules/nmea0183-signalk/lib/NMEA0183.js:259:26)
at Parser._decode (/home/pi/.config/signalk-server-node/node_modules/nmea0183-signalk/lib/index.js:128:44)
at /home/pi/.config/signalk-server-node/node_modules/nmea0183-signalk/lib/index.js:172:26
at arrayEach (/home/pi/.config/signalk-server-node/node_modules/lodash/lodash.js:537:11)
at Function.forEach (/home/pi/.config/signalk-server-node/node_modules/lodash/lodash.js:9359:14)
at Parser._transform (/home/pi/.config/signalk-server-node/node_modules/nmea0183-signalk/lib/index.js:169:7)
at Parser.Transform._read (_stream_transform.js:167:10)
at Parser.Transform._write (_stream_transform.js:155:12)
at doWrite (_stream_writable.js:334:12)
pi@openplotter:~ $

The NMEA0183 data comes from a Raymarine E80 via a USB-NMEA0183 convertor
We would need to isolate the problem.

What happens if you disable all settings (node-red, sensors, actions, NMEA 2K devices, GPIO, 1W...)? Are you generating NMEA 0183 from node-red or NMEA generator?

If there is still crash we would need to see what NMEA 0183 sentence is generating the error, try to open the NMEA 0183 inspector or the opencpn NMEA inspector.
(2017-05-30, 06:44 PM)Sailoog Wrote: We would need to isolate the problem.

What happens if you disable all settings (node-red, sensors, actions, NMEA 2K devices, GPIO, 1W...)? Are you generating NMEA 0183 from node-red or NMEA generator?

If there is still crash we would need to see what NMEA 0183 sentence is generating the error, try to open the NMEA 0183 inspector or the opencpn NMEA inspector.

Ok, I have erased all the stuff out of the OpenPlotter system other than what is under the USB manager tab and what is under the NMEA 0183 tab. If, under the NMEA 0183 tab, I highlight the line responsible for the NMEA 0183 feed from the chart plotter,  and select 'diagnostic', I get a nice flow of 'stuff', no crashes and no errors in the debug window. If I go to the SignalK tab and open a diagnostic window I get nothing. If I then restart the signalk server, I get a bunch of data in the signalk diagnostic window and then I get the error messages in the console window that I used to start openplotter. The data feed to the signalk diagnostic window has stopped at this point.
Based on this, it would seem that nothing under NMEA 0183 is causing the crash but that the crash happens when signalK starts.
I should add that I go into the pi via another computer via VCN and wifi and interact with the pi that way.
Also, while all this is happening, the remote computer that is used to go into the pi also runs OpenCPN including a dashboard that shows the NMEA 0183 feed from the chart plotter - I see depth, speed and apparent wind angle and speed. This dashboard display has never crashed which also seems to suggest that the NMEA 0183 feed is getting to the pi just fine and the pi then distributes this information via wifi to any computer listening just fine.
I hope this makes sense and answers your question. Let me know if I can test anything else.
Makes sense.
You get data in NMEA 0183 diagnostic and opencpn because they are independent from signal k.
If you have data on NMEA 0183 diagnostic and not in signal k diagnostic is because your signa k server has already crashed. Then when you restart the signal k server you have data everywhere until the crash happens. You have a NMEA sentence or something that signal k can not digest an we need to know what. Do you know the VDR opencpn plugin? please record a file with your NMEA stream just when the system crash and send me that file I will try to reproduce the crash on my system. And please paste here the error message with all stuff disabled.
Thanks.
(2017-05-31, 05:11 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Do you know the VDR opencpn plugin? please record a file with your NMEA stream just when the system crash and send me that file I will try to reproduce the crash on my system. And please paste here the error message with all stuff disabled.

Unfortunately I have no idea what the VDR opencpn plugin is. I am running Ubuntu 17.10 on this computer and if you can give me a hint where I could find the plugin and what I should do with it once found then I can help out more.
What is the best way to capture the NMEA 0183 stream ?
I wonder if maybe I can reduce the variety of the data stream by turning off instruments to the chart plotter and seeing if it is a particular instrument or if maybe the chart plotter sends something. DO you think that might help ?
At this moment the best way to capture the NMEA stream is VDR

Open a terminal on your ubunto and type:
Code:
sudo apt-get update

and them

Code:
sudo apt-get install opencpn-plugin-vdr

and the plugin will be installed. Go to setting, enable the plugin and 2 icons for play and record will appear on your opencpn tools bar. Record the stream and send it to me to info<youknowwhat>sailoog.com

turning off instruments is a very good idea
The system crashed with the two NMEA 0183 instruments shut off and just the chartplotter on (the ST4000+ autopilot was on as well but there seems to be no obvious way to switch it off - I don't know if any of it's data is translated to NEMA 0183).

Unfortunately, this is what I get trying to install opencpn-plugin-vdr :

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package opencpn-plugin-vdr

I have checked the web re installing the package and I 'seem' to be doing everything I should but obviously I am screwing it up someplace.
BTW, I run version 4.6.2 of OpenCPN
Further edit: The chart recorder has a GPS unit attached to it. It's feed is presumably translated to the NMEA 0183 side of things.I ALSO have a GPS puck hooked up to the pi via USB!
Could it be that the two GPS units clash somehow ?
I have disabled the NMEA 0183 feed in the openplotter nmea 0183 tab and the system has run without crashing for some time.
I have also disabled the feed from the GPS puck, re-enabled the NEMA 0183 feed from the chart plotter (with it's own GPS data stream) and have run that for some time without crashing.
The crashes before were intermittent so I will have to watch this a bit longer before I can call it 'solved' ....
Alas, it still crashes Sad
You have on your system the beta repository ppa:bdbcat/opencpn and not the stable where plugin VDR an others live: ppa:opencpn/opencpn

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/doku.p...ubuntu_ppa

I would need your error messages on every crash. Save a file only for your plotter and another one only for your GPS.