This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Poll: Do you want qtVlm integrated into OpenPlotter?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
57.14%
20 57.14%
No
42.86%
15 42.86%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Integrate qtVlm on OpenPlotter
(2017-10-12, 05:59 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Tocan it seems to me that you have published this post on the wrong thread, could be?

For shure not...

So, for me, its more important to have OP as a relyable, stable data-server. And all that other things (heating control, smart home, surveileance cam,...) is different on every boat and needs to be implemented individually. This is why i dont ask for Phillips-HUE iplementation or serial Planar Heating Control... [Image: biggrin.png]

See maybee i have not best developer skills and a sucking english to translate from German to english...

But i understand very well http://www.elbe.taxi/

My need maybee are others i try to have a open source base. And the switsches and other sections are quite empty still in documentation and for this reason i did play first with the Hue that i have at home and did implement Sonoff. There is absolute no reason here to act like in typical german forums with dirty irony. 

I do not expect any integration and all is just to share ideas... The fact is in Dresden with the company he will have for shure landline electricity and me in Danube Delta in 80 % not. And he will have not to travel 3000 km if something is with his electricity. So in fact the remote administration for me is absolute essential and is in front of any navigation or other things. My Grundel is also not a speed boat like his one and not for just to have fun and put out 100 liters of petrol per hour.

Anyways the way to go is not the question of a poll with 50 votes...

The way to go is yours in remembering of the interview of the canboat develoer in front of the free software Foundation.

What inspired you to create CANboat?
As I was building a new boat in 2008-2010 I wanted to have a single device that would show all the data available on board via a simple Web interface. I could join the NMEA and buy the NMEA 2000 standard (spending $3,000 USD or so) but then I couldn't actually release my program as free software. So I figured that the only way out was to reverse engineer the protocol from scratch. It took me about a week to write some code to interact with a CAN interface and only a few evenings before I had the first datagram done.
Soon I was able to have my dream of a tablet-friendly, HTML5(ish) page, in 2010. It took many evenings though over the last 6 years to add more and more N2K datagrams. Luckily, after making the sources GPL and putting them on Github I soon got a few collaborators from around the globe. All regular non-company specific NMEA 2000 messages are now decoded, most of them completely. CANboat is unique in that it also decodes. It is able to direct quite a number of company specific messages, but work on this is particularly slow as it requires a software developer with both access to a device producing them, a (perceived) need to use them and the will to put in hard hours doing the reverse engineering. This involves looking at hex dumps and fiddling until it makes sense.

Why did you choose the GNU GPL version 3 (or later) as the license for CANboat?

I personally think the RFC method of publishing standards is a better one than the ISO/IEC style of charged access. I also don't like how the NMEA uses copyright law to prevents people with access to the standard to talk about content within the standard. Even the IEC doesn't do this. When I decided to make my work free software, I felt that I wanted to help non-professionals to gain access, but I also wanted to respect the NMEA as much as possible. I'm not trying to subvert their business model here, just offering an alternative for free software development. What I didn't want to see happening is that business would just use my work as a means to evade paying the NMEA without them contributing back to the community. This is why I made a deliberate choice for the GPL with its strong copyleft clause, which ensures this.

I think you allone as maintainer have to decide betwhen a full official integration and a add on or plugin what is legal and keep openplotter away from the most problems. 
I guess there are better ways to sort out personal differences than in this thread
Peace! PEACE!

First: This is not the place for this. This is the place für examining if a new chart plotter software should be implemented to OP. Right?

Second: I was completely missanderstood. But this is, in fact, due to my lack of diplomacy! The story of my life...Smile

So please ignore this dialog, and i will contact Tocan directly via PM in german. Because i really love ther Website and ideas and Videos, i was exited to read that im not the only one in the world who wants to match OP and FHEM, and just did not find the right words to say that, as i was a little bit frustrated about my OP Installation... Friends again?? Smile
(2017-10-12, 09:37 PM)ElbeTaxi Wrote: Peace! PEACE!

First: This is not the place for this. This is the place für examining if a new chart plotter software should be implemented to OP. Right?

Second: I was completely missanderstood. But this is, in fact, due to my lack of diplomacy! The story of my life...Smile

So please ignore this dialog, and i will contact Tocan directly via PM in german. Because i really love ther Website and ideas and Videos, i was exited to read that im not the only one in the world who wants to match OP and FHEM, and just did not find the right words to say that, as i was a little bit frustrated about my OP Installation... Friends again?? Smile

See my pages are allways political statements.... For example to choose openplotter was one reason that the origin was catalan. I did include long time no spanish translation to make a statement...

And i can see from which countries users browse and look and the language they go. Spain IPs did browse very often inside Catalan or French in this time...
I was requested from Argentina to support spanish to and did include it now... Anyways i have some relation to Klopp the Liverpool trainer right now and there is another trainer in England that support the Catalan freedom... You can spin arround yours phantasy now...

Fact is they use in their app Iridium go but announced this for their mobile app only and this is the part...

I am not an expert and do not have deep knowledge but i guess they use iridium go to receive the weather maps by fax from sattelite but i think the same you can do with with the rtl-sdr stick. did not try it right now but i saw a video from a 15 years old gui that have done it for experiments...

I think as far i understand that qtVlm wich a integration in openplotter so this can be made also without the iridium Api. Iridium go Api can also be on the mobile as extra app. or as plugin...

Again qtVLm is usefull if you have a satelite conection but still Iridium go does not provide Sateleite Internet because the same functionality you can get with a rtl-sdr.

The offline charts is are ok but for which regions? mbtiles is the important thing that is offered but that way you have to be online... Or you set up an Apaches Server with Module MB-Tiles what is the way i am planing for the moment. For this i did set up on a gentoo machine Apache...

Anyways...
Openplotter needs a Videosection and tutorials

I did yesterday start to make Intros i will use in future for my videos... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbFtcYln...lnx8KOspMj

For openplotter is not made one yet because i do not know i can use the logo. I publish all under CC-BY-SA and Openplotter logo is different license, that i can not include it to Intros...
Tocan please keep calm, we are here to have fun and share. Personally I will never ban anybody (just spammers) or delete a post so all of you will have to moderate yourself. I think we should be able to speak about everything (yes, even Spaniards should be Smile )
English is not our language and it is easy to make mistakes reading and writing. Please be understanding.

About openplotter licenses. This is the general license for all OP items unless an item has his own explicit license: https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplotter-...cense.html
(2017-10-13, 09:53 AM)Sailoog Wrote: Tocan please keep calm, we are here to have fun and share. Personally I will never ban anybody (just spammers) or delete a post so all of you will have to moderate yourself. I think we should be able to speak about everything (yes, even Spaniards should be Smile )
English is not our language and it is easy to make mistakes reading and writing. Please be understanding.

About openplotter licenses. This is the general license for all OP items unless an item has his own explicit license: https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplotter-...cense.html

I read somewhere that the logo have its own licence. And the things with Elbe Taxi we did sort out he like to integrade the Hue and Sonoff and was just a language missunderstanding. 

Unless this is my special humour in my Openplotter Intro Video i will use for future How To ? videos... As long its not clear to the users how to use the things its still more for developement than for everyones use... I think that Step by step videos can help.

O Video is ready and upload to youtube but without any openplotter logo. also the pi logo i did not use.

What does integration involve? It would seem that mostly means some accommodations on either side for support in the flavors of NMEA sentences each prefers -- or better yet, qtVlm becoming one of the first chart plotters to support SignalK. That would all be great to happen, and it should work whether qtVlm is running locally on Raspian, or on a Windows or mobile device elsewhere on the boat. Making the irridium API an optional plugin as someone else suggestion might be popular not just with Openplotter's standards but with other projects they might collaborate with.

I think that is not the argument, but whether it ships on the image. Really (the open source matter regarding irridium aside) I have the same questions about OpenCPN, as so many people will run a lean and headless Openplotter and won't use it. I can see there being a minimalist image at some point and a screen to check off which additional applications to install. But a big fat image containing a full box of toys may suit other people better. We all use Openplotter somewhat differently.

I suppose I am a yes vote, if it is a small effort, but there are a lot of other really great things in progress that are also exciting and we would all vote yes on those too. Pypilot. Tank level sensors. Counting pulses like paddlewheels and anemometers and engine RPMs. But striking up friendships with qtVlm and other projects yields great things.
I still do not see any promotion activity here from their developers. If they do the work and keep the updates ok i think Openplotter depends on many things. A structure change in signal k and nothing is running any more and it starts all again the race... remember that openplotter just have 2 developers in fact... its not a big project like in sourceforge i have seen much more often... i follow the developers discusion in the time and as far i see there is some support but not much...

Mainly Openplotter is a linux build and if others like an integration they can do as long they are compatible with the GPL Openplotter use. From this base of compatibility you sailoog can choose to integrade official... but i do not see the compatibility... for me what they provide as code is not clear for the moment the api is inside the smartphone app or in the main program ... i suggest to make a request to the Free Software foundation of a proove. Than things that be need to be compatible with GPL are more clear. I do not see reasons why not give a installation possibility like apache2 or mysql on openplotter. i expect some comments and statements here from iridium how they like to solve it...

as far as i see they are the profit makers from any implementation and realy to show them a hard front with a now as long they think prprietary closed source protect their business... the other thing can be recode from scratsch their api and set it to open source... So i do at the moment for a solar inverter. i like to integrade and the serial rs485.
Good points Saqqara. I keep the idea of asking for signal k support to qtVlm developers.

What does integration involve? Actually nothing, They have built a special edition for openplotter and I have already tested it, all seems to work right. We should just add a desktop shortcut and a few lines in the update script to check new versions.
I voted NO, as I think open source is a Major criteria. Smile
And also I'm a sailor, not a router !
My most favoured wish is that OP Heart reaches a new stable version, as I rather want OP to be an homogeneous stand-alone solution than an hyper connected stuff , which will be of poor, or no use at all, once the coastline  is behind the horizon. At

Any kind of energy hog system (e.g. laptop) can be used in a harbour or marina were its easy to be connected both to the www and to a mains supply!

OP as to be a dependable sailing tool and an "Ah saver" while we are "en route" . Cool

My opinion will be revised when a cheap planet-wise communication system will become available ... Undecided
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you