This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compass/IMU not working with 0.17 alpha
Hello, not sure if others have seen or reported this, but after upgrading to 0.17 alpha this afternoon (1500 PST) the compass/IMU (InvenSense MPU-9255) I have used successfully for several previous versions appears to no longer be working. I have restarted the sensors and rebooted several times, but no joy. Also, the "Detected IMU" message appears whether or not I have the sensor connected...not sure if this is a symptom. To my knowledge I have not upgraded or changed anything else on the RPI 3 Model B V1.2. Any thoughts?

UPDATE: Just ran "sudo i2cdetect -y 1" and got only rows of "-- -- --"; no 68 hex address found. Is there an i2c setting I need to tweak to ensure the sensor will be detected by OP? Checked and recheck wiring to sensor...seems solid. Thanks.

Drew
(2018-01-06, 02:51 AM)Tigress Wrote: Hello, not sure if others have seen or reported this, but after upgrading to 0.17 alpha this afternoon (1500 PST) the compass/IMU (InvenSense MPU-9255) I have used successfully for several previous versions appears to no longer be working. I have restarted the sensors and rebooted several times, but no joy. Also, the "Detected IMU" message appears whether or not I have the sensor connected...not sure if this is a symptom. To my knowledge I have not upgraded or changed anything else on the RPI 3 Model B V1.2. Any thoughts?

UPDATE: Just ran "sudo i2cdetect -y 1" and got only rows of "-- -- --"; no 68 hex address found. Is there an i2c setting I need to tweak to ensure the sensor will be detected by OP? Checked and recheck wiring to sensor...seems solid. Thanks.

Drew

If you use version 0.16 does i2cdetect work? What about your config.txt, does it have dtparam=i2c_arm=on?
(2018-01-08, 04:29 PM)seandepagnier Wrote:
(2018-01-06, 02:51 AM)Tigress Wrote: Hello, not sure if others have seen or reported this, but after upgrading to 0.17 alpha this afternoon (1500 PST) the compass/IMU (InvenSense MPU-9255) I have used successfully for several previous versions appears to no longer be working. I have restarted the sensors and rebooted several times, but no joy. Also, the "Detected IMU" message appears whether or not I have the sensor connected...not sure if this is a symptom. To my knowledge I have not upgraded or changed anything else on the RPI 3 Model B V1.2. Any thoughts?

UPDATE: Just ran "sudo i2cdetect -y 1" and got only rows of "-- -- --"; no 68 hex address found. Is there an i2c setting I need to tweak to ensure the sensor will be detected  by OP? Checked and recheck wiring to sensor...seems solid. Thanks.

Drew

If you use version 0.16 does i2cdetect work?   What about your config.txt, does it have dtparam=i2c_arm=on?
Hi...yes, i2cdetect did work with 0.16. On my 0.17 system I found that dtparam=i2c_arm=off for some reason. Easily fixed, sensor now working successfully as before. Thanks for your help!
Hi

I'm having a similar problem.

i2c is running when i use the sudo i2cdetect -y 1 command but in openplotter I have to restart the sensors to get any info coming through to SK.

I've checked the config file and ic2 is =on. Is there anything else I should check that might be causing the problem ?

Thanks

Keith
you could try a reset in compass tab reboot and recalibrate ..

UPDATE: Just ran "sudo i2cdetect -y 1" and got only rows of "-- -- --"; no 68 hex address found. Is there an i2c setting I need to tweak to ensure the sensor will be detected  by OP? Checked and recheck wiring to sensor...seems solid. Thanks.

Drew

I have the same problem.

Since updating to 0.17 the compass is no longer working.
Where do I find if dtparam=i2c_arm=on?

My BMP180 sensor isn't working now either.

I also have to manually hit restart to start the DS18B20 sensors & the GPIO switches a well.
(2018-01-25, 12:00 PM)jim321 Wrote: you could try a reset in compass tab reboot and recalibrate ..

Jim

Thanks for the response , I tried turning off , reboot, turning on again and then reboot but still no joy, sometimes they start on their own, its almost as if they are trying to start too early in the boot process and then its hit or miss if they start, maybe they just need a reset at the last moment of openplotter load. Is there a way I can add a command to end of openplotter start ?

Thanks

Keith
Does "i2cdetect -y 1" always show 0x68?

Can you verify the problem is from 0.17 vs 0.16?
(2018-01-30, 05:33 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Does "i2cdetect -y 1" always show 0x68?

Can you verify the problem is from 0.17 vs 0.16?

Ok so I've a few cold starts & done a few reboots and its now starting every time so it seems like it was a connection problem.

Thanks for you help

Keith