This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Introducing OpenPlotter hats!!!
does the bnc supply 3v to the external gps antenna.?
active versus passive antenna..
(2018-01-12, 08:19 PM)jim321 Wrote: does the bnc supply 3v to the gps external antenna.?
for active ones like this..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-3V-5V-28dB-...SwxcRW8zzy

I would go with an antenna from a well known manufacturer like Garmin (yeah its more expensive)

https://www.ebay.com/p/Garmin-GA-38-GPS-...1292134972
Hi fellows OPists !
External antennas will usually cost you 5 to 10 times more than this VK-162 G-Mouse GPS Dongle USB
Lets hope the Moitessier  HAT will come with a selection of external antennas at a decent price !
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

The external antenna is supplied by the BNC connector. You could use any GNSS dome antenna, however the integrated GNSS patch antenna is quite good. Depending on your boat material, you could even use the HAT below deck without the need of an external antenna.

The standard connector type for marine GPS antennas is either BNC or TNC. SMA is mostly used for the smaller antennas with magnetic plate. The BNC connector might be used up to 4 GHz, so no need to worry that it can't cope with GNSS frequency.
The SO-239 connector (standard for AIS antenna) is very big. This would have a not negligible impact on board size and would cause mechanical stress on the HAT, if the antenna is attached. In this case SMA is the better choice. There are SMA to SO-239 and SMA to BNC pigtails available anyway, so this is no big deal.
(2018-01-19, 03:06 PM)Rooney Wrote: The external antenna is supplied by the BNC connector. You could use any GNSS dome antenna, however the integrated GNSS patch antenna is quite good. Depending on your boat material, you could even use the HAT below deck without the need of an external antenna.

The standard connector type for marine GPS antennas is either BNC or TNC. SMA is mostly used for the smaller antennas with magnetic plate. The BNC connector might be used up to 4 GHz, so no need to worry that it can't cope with GNSS frequency.
The SO-239 connector (standard for AIS antenna) is very big. This would have a not negligible impact on board size and would cause mechanical stress on the HAT, if the antenna is attached. In this case SMA is the better choice. There are SMA to SO-239 and SMA to BNC pigtails available anyway, so this is no big deal.

I agree with your comments on the mechanical stress factor of the SO-239 connector on the board, but the same argument applies to BNC (albeit to a lesser extent). BNC does indeed work into the SHF frequency range but they have to very good quality connectors and assembled to a very high standard. SMA is easier to assemble, reliably, IMO.

The use of one SMA and one BNC mystifies me. 

Why not go BNC for both if worried about keeping costs down? 

I think I would rather go for SMA for both with good gold plated connectors and use pigtails for both.

If the device is built into a cabinet of some kind then pigtails to external connectors on the case will be required anyway. May as well go for the quality, reliability and small form factor of the SMA.
Is there an availability date or any updates available.  Smile
I want one too. I'll try to build one myself too, I'm night an expert with wiring and computer stuff but hopefully I can be good enough at following instructions. Looking to copy this build https://blog.adafruit.com/2017/08/25/the...tter-build.
Very good device! How to buy it and what is final price? I want to buy it also.
@Sailoog : you have wetted our appetite Smile - can you please keep us updated on progress / availability / price ?
Tomorrow we will publish price specifications details and aprox availability