This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hardware
Good day,

I'd like to get recommendations with the kind of hardware that I can use to transmit NMEA signals to Openplotter for wind and depth measurements.

Any other hardware recommendations to complete and prepare my setup for coastal cruising is highly appreciated.

I have my boat on the hard right now and wanted to implement Openplotter before I hit the water.

Thanks and regards,

Ze'K

While I'm at this topic. I'm going to list below hardware that I stumble upon as I continue my search and research. If possible, please let me know your experiences about specific devices that you have used or know about.

HARDWARE

WIND DATA

1.) WIND SENSOR 
2.) AIRMAR WS-220WX

DEPTH, TEMP, AND SPEED DATA

1.) AIRMAR DST800B-A

AIS

1.) dAISY hat AIS receiver

HOW-TO'S AND TUTORIALS

1) Raspberry Pi as a NMEA wifi repeater

2) NMEA_WiFi_Bridge
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching.” ~ Unknown
Hummm, it might be worth investigating an ESP8266 or ESP32. You'd have to roll your own programs for them, but it shouldn't be too bad. The good news is that they are available for less than $10 (sometimes less than $5).

Here's a GITHUB that I found that uses an ESP-01. Those things are available for a buck. https://github.com/svkatielee/NMEA_WiFi_Bridge
(2018-01-30, 12:50 AM)abarrow Wrote: Hummm, it might be worth investigating an ESP8266 or ESP32. You'd have to roll your own programs for them, but it shouldn't be too bad. The good news is that they are available for less than $10 (sometimes less than $5).

Here's a GITHUB that I found that uses an ESP-01. Those things are available for a buck. https://github.com/svkatielee/NMEA_WiFi_Bridge

Thanks for the reply added that to the HowTo's.
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching.” ~ Unknown
I have a CV7 ultrasonic windvane from lcjcapteurs.
It works great an puts out NMEA.
There is even a solar driven, wireless version available.
the drawback to esp 01 is powering it 3v., its a lot easier to use a nodemcu type module that can be powered with 5v and use a power point and a usb cigarette lighter type plug charger for powering it from 12v..more pins on them also..
(2018-01-30, 10:41 AM)jim321 Wrote: the drawback to esp 01 is powering it 3v., its a lot easier to use a nodemcu type module that can be powered with 5v and use a power point and a usb cigarette lighter type plug charger for powering it from 12v..more pins on them also..

Most of the esp8266 boards like the nodemcu carry a linear voltage regulator like the ams1117-3.3 so you can run the board by hooking up max 15V to Vin.
(2018-01-30, 11:52 AM)shark24 Wrote:
(2018-01-30, 10:41 AM)jim321 Wrote: the drawback to esp 01 is powering it 3v., its a lot easier to use a nodemcu type module that can be powered with 5v and use a power point and a usb cigarette lighter type plug charger for powering it from 12v..more pins on them also..

Most of the esp8266 boards like the nodemcu carry a linear voltage regulator like the ams1117-3.3 so you can run the board by hooking up max 15V to Vin.
Gets REALLY hot.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
(2018-01-30, 12:02 PM)PaddyB Wrote: Gets REALLY hot.

Thanks for mentioning that Paddy!
Just wanted to point out the possibilities off the nodemcu. But it's important to say that linear voltage regulators can get very hot, it's how they work.
I ran an esp8266 straight from 12 V but it just woke up from deep sleep every minute or so and took some sensor readings, so heat wasn't a big issue.
Agreed. Linear voltage regulators are just heat generators. They needlessly waste energy.

I use these little adjustable buck converters. They are cheap and easy to use. While they do take a little more circuit board space, it's worth it to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014Y3...UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the replies guys. I have to be honest about still being confused about how all these messages are transmitted and received and processed to become useable information. All the info here and elsewhere is making it clearer for me. Thanks again.