This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INA3221
Hi all,
I'm trying to install INA3221 to monitor two 12v battery, 

following this tread I connected...

CH1  +    -------------------  + BATT1
             CH1  -     -------------------   GRD (RPI)
INA3221 CH2 + .  -------------------   + BATT2
              CH2 -     -------------------   GRD (RPI)
              CH3+    -------------------     NC
              CH3 -     -------------------     NC

.. and the I2C

sk diagnostic is like this:

but the sensor give the same value for the 3 channels.... (a battery connected on CH1)

and if I connect also a second battery (12v) to CH2...

12v wins...

whats wrong?!?!?

ciao
cepicscepics,

Ok a few things. Do not connect the CH1, Ch2 or CH3 (-) on the INA3221 to the raspberry pi or anything else. They should not be used and will cause problems. Only connect to the (+) from the voltage sources on the INA3221.

Second, make sure the common ground of all the batteries is connected to the negative bus on your pi.

If you change those things everything should work fine.

By the way you can go into the code and change the signal k labels to anything that is not being used by OP or Signal K

Example

voltagekey1 = "electrical.batteries.house.voltage"

to

voltagekey1 = "electrical.batteries.emergency.voltage"

Good luck Smile
AfaIk some INA3221 boards can only measure one Voltage and 3 currents
(2018-05-03, 10:12 PM)e-sailing Wrote: AfaIk some INA3221 boards can only measure one Voltage and 3 currents

Thanks for the info, I do not doubt it at all.

What he was seeing is exactly what I saw in the beginning before reading the manual a bit more. Smile  I had the CH (x) (-) hooked up to the battery (-) and it gave me all kinds of erroneous readings. Once changed over it has been extremely accurate.

Ill post a wiring diagram in the next few days to try to clear things up.
(2018-05-03, 09:22 PM)Opie91 Wrote: cepicscepics,

Ok a few things. Do not connect the CH1, Ch2 or CH3 (-) on the INA3221 to the raspberry pi or anything else. They should not be used and will cause problems. Only connect to the (+) from the voltage sources on the INA3221.

Second, make sure the common ground of all the batteries is connected to the negative bus on your pi.

If you change those things everything should work fine.

By the way you can go into the code and change the signal k labels to anything that is not being used by OP or Signal K

Example

voltagekey1 = "electrical.batteries.house.voltage"

to

voltagekey1 = "electrical.batteries.emergency.voltage"

Good luck Smile

tnks a lot I will try