This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting NMEA Wind data from NASA Clipper
(2018-06-20, 11:45 AM)Smartell Wrote: Thanks Paddy,

I have used node red before to test the different "endings" \r , \n, $ etc. and then with the correct setting for NASA (\r) , seen the stream in the debug window...nice and clean. I guess that you are saying that i can send that stream i see back to KLPEX?

/Micael

Yep, you can send it back using UDP after adding a LF. This seems to work, I made a NMEA sentence with just a new line (\n) then sent it to openplotter/kplex. Wasn't accepted so stripped the new line and added a linefeed & newline and it is accepted. 
 -   msg.payload = msg.payload.trim() + "\r\n";

Copy this code  then in node red press cntrl "i" to insert. Then you need to add a KPLEX UDP input set to 10.10.10.1 port 10111 (or change the port if you want in node red.) Then connect the serial input to this function node/UDP output node and it should fix the missing line feed. Hopefully! Smile
Code:
[
   {
       "id": "8d15bf00.b4f3f",
       "type": "function",
       "z": "3f30ea31.da3756",
       "name": "",
       "func": "msg.payload = msg.payload.trim() + \"\\r\\n\";\nreturn msg;",
       "outputs": 1,
       "noerr": 0,
       "x": 530,
       "y": 1380,
       "wires": [
           [
               "5c27d805.90e408",
               "145eceea.6c9d31"
           ]
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "5c27d805.90e408",
       "type": "udp out",
       "z": "3f30ea31.da3756",
       "name": "",
       "addr": "10.10.10.1",
       "iface": "",
       "port": "10111",
       "ipv": "udp4",
       "outport": "",
       "base64": false,
       "multicast": "false",
       "x": 680,
       "y": 1440,
       "wires": []
   }
]
Wow Chinese !

No problem, i will add the code and see beauty and function arise!

How does it work then, is node red running in open plotter all the time as a part of it? Am i adding something to the original functionality with this? Is this a permanent solution or just debugging?

B.t.w, i made a  post in the KPLEX google group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search...-pxWZOBwAJ 

but it looks dead, no posts since 2017 ... how to reach Stripydog then?

... so many questions, sorry for that but i think that we are closing in on a solution now.

BR/Micael
(2018-06-20, 01:16 PM)Smartell Wrote: Wow Chinese !

No problem, i will add the code and see beauty and function arise!

How does it work then, is node red running in open plotter all the time as a part of it? Am i adding something to the original functionality with this? Is this a permanent solution or just debugging?

You can set node red to automatically start when openplotter starts, in the startup tab. Sounds like yours is set already. With that set then it will just do what you've programmed in the background so it can be a permanent solution. You can do so much more with it as well, send the wind data to a graph or save it to a file. Great program! 
The author of kplex is actually a friend of mine, he should see the thread on google , if not I'll email him an ask how hard it would be to add an option of accepting just a newline.
I am not sure how you reset your newer NASA wind instrument for wind dead ahead, but it is a pain for mine; power off, short two wires, power on, all while steering upwind. I have longed for some way to set an offset in software. Seems possible with Node Red.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
(2018-06-20, 02:31 PM)Saqqara Wrote: I am not sure how you reset your newer NASA wind instrument for wind dead ahead, but it is a pain for mine; power off, short two wires, power on, all while steering upwind. I have longed for some way to set an offset in software. Seems possible with Node Red.

I have used the same manual method for setting dead ahead on my old analog unit. As the new NMEA mast unit is not mounted on my sailboat yet it is a future problem. Would also love to be able to do it "softwarewise". So would my wife who has to do the settings dance while i steer.

/M
Paddy,

It works!

FINALLY, we got the bI@@dy thing working!

Soo...Thanks for all your support !

To sum it up:
it was the missing linefeed in NASA's implementation of the NMEA protocol that caused all this misery. Not too impressive effort by NASA i must say.
I will engage in a discussion with them to see what they come up with. They also use the old unbalanced version of NMEA with (+), (-) and (TX)

Note that i am using a cheap Prolific chipset RS232/USB adapter without any advanced loopbacks, just three cables.

The (temporary?) solution was to use Node Red with a serial connection that i first confirmed to work and then connected to Paddy's code above which worked rather splendidly.

Next (yes i like windmills) i will try to connect my Seatalk to the system too

And then i will try to get Sailgauge to work on my Samsung Gear s3 ... keeping busy

And then ...
(2018-06-20, 11:47 PM)Smartell Wrote: Paddy,

It works!

To sum it up:
it was the missing linefeed in NASA's implementation of the NMEA protocol that caused all this misery. Not too impressive effort by NASA i must say.
I will engage in a discussion with them to see what they come up with. They also use the old unbalanced version of NMEA with (+), (-) and (TX)

Note that i am using a cheap Prolific chipset RS232/USB adapter without any advanced loopbacks, just three cables.

The (temporary?) solution was to use Node Red with a serial connection that i first confirmed to work and then connected to Paddy's code above which worked rather splendidly.

And then i will try to get Sailgauge to work on my Samsung Gear s3 ... keeping busy

And then ...
Congratulations! Seems like NASAMARINE will have seen this problem before. I guess they had a bad firmware version at some point. They will surely fix it if you send it back, but they are in the UK. They sent me a new circuit board when mine flooded (out of warranty by the time I got up to the masthead to take it down) at a decent price. Neither the old nor new one had your problem. I hope they have improved the seal (the replacement one they sent me was different than the original) but I am tempted to tell you to disassemble yours and seal it up with silicone for good measure.

(2018-06-20, 11:47 PM)Smartell Wrote: Paddy,

It works!

To sum it up:

And then ...

Yippee!!!!  

Seatalk, now that might be a slightly tougher nut to crack - anyone managed it? From memory it uses something like  9 bit data which apparently arduino can do - anyone know if an ESP could as well? A sketch for seatalk to signalk would be gold dust. As is this one from Scott - https://github.com/mxtommy/EspSigK/blob/...spSigK.cpp
Paddy...how hard can it be ?

:-)

I'm all in. You know i compensate my obvious lack of competence with a badger-like tenaciousness (is that a word?)

(Is this a new thread?)

Do we have to do it on an ESP (is that a small external processor board ?). 

Since i think that the business case is not overwhelming, we should focus on first documenting the solution based on readily available parts and then like you propose support with the Pi based protocol conversion. How different would that be compared to what is being done to convert the protocol today in the arduinos ? (Steal w pride)

handle the obvious electrical problems (voltages, inverted signals etc) w a few components and feed it to an RS422/USB. The "electrical stuff"  is simple and well documented already.

B.t.w, if there is no reaction in the google group in a month or so, i would appreciate a nudge of your friend Stripydog. I will check first w NASA though.

/Micael
(2018-06-21, 10:41 AM)Smartell Wrote: Paddy...how hard can it be ?

:-)

I'm all in. You know i compensate my obvious lack of competence with a badger-like tenaciousness (is that a word?)

(Is this a new thread?)

Do we have to do it on an ESP (is that a small external processor board ?). 

Since i think that the business case is not overwhelming, we should focus on first documenting the solution based on readily available parts and then like you propose support with the Pi based protocol conversion. How different would that be compared to what is being done to convert the protocol today in the arduinos ? (Steal w pride)

handle the obvious electrical problems (voltages, inverted signals etc) w a few components and feed it to an RS422/USB. The "electrical stuff"  is simple and well documented already.

B.t.w, if there is no reaction in the google group in a month or so, i would appreciate a nudge of your friend Stripydog. I will check first w NASA though.

/Micael

New thread coming up soon, I'll have a play some night soon to see if an arduino works for seatalk, sounds like it does. An ESP8266 is like a fast arduino with wifi, great little boards - I've just got one sending signalk over wifi using this great library https://github.com/mxtommy/EspSigK/blob/...spSigK.cpp which should make it easy to send nmea from wind etc to openplotter without running in wires. 
Quick look on google doesn't come up with any 9bit serial options though so seatalk might have to be wired. As you szy the LX side is oretty easy, I just use a rs232-TTL adaptor powered with 3.3v which outputs 3.3v to the ESP.