This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Alive!
Brag Board is gone, sigh...

Just finished Version IV of this enclosure. SSD, AIS hat, powered USB hub, shutdown switch and 10A 12v/5v converter.  I extended the pins on the AIS hat to have room to grab a GPIO for the shutdown switch. Power/Activity LED is from the the SATA/USB converter on the SSD.

I was hoping for battery backup, but the little 18650 battery back/charge devices I got just don't have the current capability, and don't seem capable of being charged while they are providing power (the battery just runs down). 

Andy

Attached Files Image(s)

It's not gone at all. Someone took offense to the name and it was renamed How I Did It

I'll move your post to the category.

Richard.
Thanks!
That looks really great. How about temperature? Does it get hot?
The case has already been in use for a year or so, and I usually just keep it running all the time on the boat. It gets a little warm, but it has never been a problem.

However, one of the reasons I decided to tear this build down and do it again was because I wanted to put in a new 3B+. I had it working on the bench, not mounted, for several days. One day I came in to look at it and it was dead, red light was on but it wouldn't boot from anything. I don't know what happened, it could've just been the board getting laid down on a screw or something and it got shorted somehow, but I did notice the board got REALLY hot. I had cooling fins on the processor and the LAN chip, but didn't have anything for the WiFi shield (the one with the RPI logo on it). The WiFi shield got really hot as well. I did notice that some of the newer cooling kits for the 3B+ have fins for it.

So, for now, I'm using the same 3B that I have used for the past year. I'm expecting a new 3B+ to be delivered Thursday, along with a dual fan kit to fit over the top. I'll try it in the case and see how it does - If there is a problem I'll drill a few holes in the case next to the RPI.

Another thing I learned while I had the 3B+ working - power is really a problem! The little 3A buck converter I was using came out and I replaced it with a 10A unit. Also, all the power wires have been enlarged. I found that at the current that the 3B+ draws, there was as much as a 0.5V drop in the crappy USB cable I was using for testing. It was causing low voltage alarms in the syslog, which was slowing the processor down. I did find a way to solder dedicated power wires on the bottom of the RPI to avoid using the micro-USB connector completely. It seemed to help.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the result. Now I'm trying to get an I2C display to work, but I can't find a functional Node-Red node for it. I guess it'll have to be Python or something!
AP Nice setup !
Whats the SSD used for ?
Is it better performance running the Apps on SSD rather than SDCard ?
Thanks
Steve
Yes, very much so. Better performance and better reliability. You should be able to get your RPI to boot from it with no SD card installed.

The new OP image can just be copied to an SSD in the same way you would copy an image to an SD card, then follow these directions to set the switch in your RPI to tell it to boot from USB:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio...des/msd.md

If you are starting from scratch with an SSD, I recommend going to one of the newer RPI hats that act as an MSATA adapter. Some can even be mounted UNDER your RPI so you still have the top available for thinks like the wonderful new hat that Sailoog has just made available.
https://github.com/johnty/node-red-contrib-i2clcd
https://infusionsystems.com/pishield/sen...-node-red/

hope this helps, i am assuming that's the display you are using..

just in case, if it's oled

https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-oled

i have also used a 750 gig drive repurposed from a laptop with a cheap usb external 2.5 sata case.
(2018-07-14, 11:42 AM)jim321 Wrote: https://github.com/johnty/node-red-contrib-i2clcd
https://infusionsystems.com/pishield/sen...-node-red/

Thanks! I'd seen the first one, but for some reason I couldn't get it to compile on my system. It's probably operator error - I'm very much a newby hack on node-red.

What I got working was a python script that received data from a node-red python connector. That was great and everything, but I found I didn't like the refresh. If a GPS device is sending data every second, the display would blink every second with new data, which was very distracting. I was updating the entire screen (20x4), but even if I just updated the numbers, it would still be very difficult to read, as the display takes about a half second to refresh. So, you only have about a half second to read the number before the it goes blank and the next one comes in.

So, long story short, I'm going to bin that idea for a while and replace it with a very KISS solution. I have a Sharper Image 7 inch LCD TV that is 12v powered. I can bring out the video output from the PI to that. Resolution isn't fantastic, but if you are displaying big letters, you really don't care. The advantage to that is I have an entire screen to mess with, including things like a running depth display, etc. etc.

I would some day like to have a nice 13 inch HDMI display for my OpenPlotter, so when that happens, I'll have to lose the LCD TV display or get another PI to run it.
i just started to updated my sys too..
a friends dell monitor was toast i got it for free, i got a new driver board and mounted everything in the 19'' monitor.ill post an update when i get it finished .