This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenPlotter v2.x.x is coming!!
(2019-05-31, 06:10 PM)garysmith Wrote: It would be really good if you could find a way to upgrade without having to write a new image...

Plus one, Plus one, Plus one ! Big Grin 

No new raspbian ! Could be a 1.3.0 stable ? Available as both NOOBS AND img !
Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh please Exclamation
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

This is how version naming works: va.b.c

c: when some bugs are fixed
b: when new features are added or removed
c: when there is a new debian version or some changes make this version not compatible with the previous.

We are on "c". The debian version is the same but lot of thing have changed and you have to configure again your system. Actions has been replaced by a node-red interface, now node-red is managed by signal k, kplex is not mandatory and can be used for other purposes, now we do not compile packages to install/update them because we have created a PPA repository for them...

As you can see there are a lot of features that you will have to configure again so burning a new image seems the more logic thing. We may do something to convert v1.x.x into v2.x.x but it would be a hard work full of patches and at the end you will have to configure everything again.

So, the question is, why? The only reason I can guess is that you are using paid charts and you do not want to loose the license but now you have the dongle for this case.
(2019-06-01, 02:09 PM)Sailoog Wrote: So, the question is, why? The only reason I can guess is that you are using paid charts and you do not want to loose the license but now you have the dongle for this case.

Why is because I am in Japan on Tourist visa in my boat and have to pay $10USD per Gigabyte of Internet data!
I have used opencpn since rev 2, mostly on Orange Pis. I just bought Sean's pypilot. And a RPi 3B+ because I am just now thinking of trying openplotter. But looking at an image from early 2018 (a year in computers is forever!) and wondering about a 1.1GB download.

Larry & Trinda
s/v Katie Lee '81 Passport 45 Ketch in Japan
--
Larry - s/v Katie Lee Passport 45 Ketch (For Sale) - somewhere in Taiwan
Free Wi-Fi Hotspots
Thanks to recent efforts by businesses and governments, public Wi-Fi networks for free use by foreign tourists have become more and more readily available. Tourists will encounter these networks at international airports, major railway stations (including all Yamanote Line stations and many shinkansen stations), selected coffee, fast food and convenience store chains and many tourist information desks.

Networks vary widely from easy-to-use ones to others that require cumbersome registrations. The following free services can make connecting to free Wi-Fi hotspots easier:

Japan Connected-free Wi-Fi
A smartphone app that unifies the registration process of over 150,000 free tourist hotspots by numerous companies and organizations so that visitors can use them all without having to register for each service individually. Registration of some personal data is required.

Free Wi-Fi Passport
Free access to approximately 400,000 Softbank hotspots at restaurants, cafes, major train stations, hotels and other locations across Japan. Registration is made by calling a toll-free number from a foreign cellphone while connected to the Softbank network. Calling the number will get you a password.

https://japanfreewifi.com/
@Sailoog Is the Superscript available anywhere?  I looked at the 2.x.x branch on github and was unable to find it.

Thanks!
(2019-06-10, 08:15 PM)floatable.io Wrote: @Sailoog Is the Superscript available anywhere?  I looked at the 2.x.x branch on github and was unable to find it.

Thanks!

Since we are still developing v2.x.x you may find some errors but the super-script (pi-gen) is almost done and working:

https://github.com/openplotter/pi-gen/tree/openplotter
Hello!
I really appreciate the excellent work done with openplotter and I look forward to the publication of v2.x.x.
I don't like one thing. the elimination of the sms messages, there are still places where only the gsm connection arrives without internet connection, and then the sms are a simple and reliable tool.
(2019-06-12, 05:10 PM)kste Wrote: Hello!
I really appreciate the excellent work done with openplotter and I look forward to the publication of v2.x.x.
I don't like one thing. the elimination of the sms messages, there are still places where only the gsm connection arrives without internet connection, and then the sms are a simple and reliable tool.
Fully agreed (I'm slightly allergic to smartphone, but I am under medical treatment for that  Smile )

We know SMS 2G will disappear before the tax system, but while SMS exist, let us use them !
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

I would like to suggest adding the OpenCPN configuration line:

MEMCacheLimit=200

To the default Configuration for OpenCPN on OpenPlotter.

This was suggested by David Register, lead developer of OpenCPN.
To avoid OpenCPN using too much memory.
It seems to solve problems that I was having running OpenCPN.
(2019-06-14, 04:17 PM)Didier B Wrote:
(2019-06-12, 05:10 PM)kste Wrote: Hello!
Fully agreed  (I'm slightly allergic to smartphone, but I am under medical treatment for that  Smile )

We know SMS 2G will disappear before the tax system, but while SMS exist, let us use them !

I'm pretty sure Node-red is our friend for that. Wink