This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sharing smartphone GPS
Hi everyone,

My USB GPS broke down. Fortunatly i am still working on openplotter in my house Smile.
While waiting the new device i am working on a backup solution.
I have installed the "share GPS" application on my android cellphone: that is a gpsd server.

Using the tcp protocol, the phone IP and the right port i can get the gps signal in OpenCPN

But it's not working with openPlotter.

Any idea ?
There is nothing special. This works for me:

Android
Data Type: NMEA
Connection Method: Use TCP/IP ...
Name gps

OpenPlotter
select NMEA tab
press add
Type: TCP
Name: gpstcp
Address: 10.10.10.168
Port: 50000
in/out: in
press OK
press Apply changes
Yes i have exactly the same settings.

In an other hand, OP NMEA Tab do not behave as usual :

i do not get any result from the diagnostic (mygps tcp, even opencpn tcp out,...)

Maybe because a USB GPS is mandatory for a normal behavior ?
i do not get any result in openCPN from openplotter too, while node red is working properly for the roll, pich and pressure sensor

I'll try again when i will get my new GPS.