This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue converting GPS from Signal K to NMEA0183
Hi everybody,

I am back with another question!  Big Grin

So far I have been able to use different components (such as BNO055 IMU) on an Arduino then on OpenPlotter. It works like a charm and to give you the different steps, here is how it works:

- Get raw data on the Arduino Mega from sensors
- Data is sent with Signal K format from the Arduino to Raspberry Pi (USB)
- A short Python program get the Serial data and transfer it to Signal K server
- On OpenPlotter, I get this data (via Signal K diagnostic) and I convert it to NMEA0183 thanks to the NMEA0183 Converter
- I then get this data on OpenCPN or QtVlm or Instumental Panel of Signal K server

Issue is when it comes to GPS signal. I cannot get the Signal K sentences to be read by the NMEA0183 Converter when the data sent is not a number. Is it normal?

To give you an example, to write NMEA sentences such as $...RMC or $...GCA , you have to indicate "N" (North) or "S" (South) when it comes to the GPS direction. But if I write letters "N" or "S" in my Signal K sentences, it is not recognized by the NMEA0183 Converter and it does not see it in the available Signal K data...

I tried "-1" and "1" instead but it does not work either..

It can seem silly to use the Arduino to convert NMEA0183 to Signal K and then OpenPlotter to the opposite but the idea is to use the Arduino as a hub to centralize all data from sensors. 

Plus, unless I am missing something, by connecting the GPS directly to the Raspberry, I loose the benefit of having GPS data on the Signal K server...

Thank you for your help!

Lucas
[quote pid='4592' dateline='1520240179']
hello, lucas.
I am a beginner and I couldn't help you.
But I want to retrieve the information on the signal k server.
I'm trying to display them on a 20x4 LCD.
what is the code to recover them, I can not ... Also I don't have access to the K Diagnostic signal on OP desktop...

[/quote]