This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wiper motor drive unit
The wiper motor is more efficient (1 amp) than a tp22 tiller pilot (1.4 amp) and the movement is faster.

These motors are widely available, designed for continuous duty, and this one cost $25.

https://vimeo.com/259593261

To adapt for a wheel drive is even easier, it would just need a belt.
I have been sailing with the windshield wiper drive motor.  It is very efficient.  I made another video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaLBRRelT-M
cool, i like it..
Yes, very nice Sean!
(2018-04-14, 06:30 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I have been sailing with the windshield wiper drive motor.  It is very efficient.  I made another video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaLBRRelT-M

Hi, could you tell me which motor you're using? I found one for a dodge ram for $30 on ebay but I'm curious if there's a better option.
It should work well. I am using motors from F150 truck. It may actually be the same as there are more types of cars than wiper motors.

I got at salvage yard for $5. It is not new, but it works fine, but even $30 is well worth it but it should be possible to find cheaper.
Hello, I'm curious about how you attached the pvc to the motor, and also what you have on the other end of the pvc, allowing it to spin freely.

The wiper motor I got has threads on the shaft, and a taper below that. I'm just thinking about the best way to attach a pvc to that.

I thought about maybe a ball bearing assembly for the opposite end, but maybe this is more complicated than it needs to be.
It's better to use a steel pipe since eventually the pvc pipe did break. The other end was just a ball bearing, but it was supported on a bolt that could not rotate because the bolt was fixed in two places.

As for the pipe, I drilled a hole in the end cap for the shaft, and bolted it on and cut a slot in the pipe for the arm. I think in the future I would instead put a bolt through the pipe and lash it to the wiper arm. This would be a lot simpler because just drilling holes.

Let us know how you manage.
This is starting to look like a good idea I found a cable adaptor for a transom mount tiller it was a small piece of metal attached below the tiller on the rudder with a continuous loop cable attached to each side like a bicycle brake cable but bigger. That way the Tiller is always available with out a rope attached. The motor could be mounted inside the boat on the transom. The cable is sheathed like a bike and to allow for less leverage the motor could have a bigger spool.
Hey,
I really like this concept. But I can't see how you disengage the wiper motor from the wheel for
Manual steering by hand?
Do you have to pull the belt if the wheel? Do you have a mechanism for that?
Regards
Patrick