This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi 3 Hardware Update
(2018-03-24, 04:49 PM)1jollymon Wrote: Hi All,

If someone has figured out how to get OpenPlotter merged with the new Rasbian version for B+, please provide details on how to get it up and running. I bought a B+ to play around with to see how much better it could be. My first impression is that power supply is going to be an issue for portability.  

Also, has anyone looked at ODROID-C2 or ODROID-XU4 www.odroidinc.com ?

If by "new Raspbian version for B+" you mean the latest version of NOOBS then the link provided by Bram will do the trick. I've done it successfully and it works well. I did need to do a firmware update though in addition to enable it to boot on the B+. You'll need to preserve the OpenPlotter OS when you do the procedure though. If you mean the latest version of Raspbian then that's a bit more complicated requiring you to update from Jessie to Stretch. I've done that too but I was left with some residual wifi network issues which I haven't looked at yet. In either case OpenCPN/OpenPlotter seem to work well and the performance seems to me to be better than with the vanilla 3B.
(2018-03-24, 05:50 PM)verkerkbr Wrote:

If someone has figured out how to get OpenPlotter merged with the new Rasbian version for B+, please provide details on how to get it up and running. I bought a B+ to play around with to see how much better it could be. My first impression is that power supply is going to be an issue for portability.  

At first it looks if it is a power problem, but that is not the cause of the starting problem. The cause is only the Noobs installer. You need the latest version of Noobs.

If you replace Noobs with the latest version, then it works as before, but faster. See my other mail for a site with instructions how to do the replacement.

Bram

Thanks Bram, I understand the Noobs issue and appreciate your hardwork and sharing with us. To be clear on what on your other mail post with instructions, could you please driect us there by providing a link?  As you know, there is now a lot of chatter on this subject which makes it confusing.

I guess it's not as simple as just moving the proper Strech files into the OpenPlotter OS Noobs files to start a new SD, right?  

(2018-03-25, 12:30 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote:

If by "new Raspbian version for B+" you mean the latest version of NOOBS then the link provided by Bram will do the trick. I've done it successfully and it works well. I did need to do a firmware update though in addition to enable it to boot on the B+. You'll need to preserve the OpenPlotter OS when you do the procedure though. If you mean the latest version of Raspbian then that's a bit more complicated requiring you to update from Jessie to Stretch. I've done that too but I was left with some residual wifi network issues which I haven't looked at yet. In either case OpenCPN/OpenPlotter seem to work well and the performance seems to me to be better than with the vanilla 3B.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to find Bram's link you are refering to. I'm looking forward to plyaing around with the new system. I have a few SD's sitting around and can start over, is not a big deal. My live B system is working for me so I can always fall back on that.  Smile  Although, the other option is to wait untill they get the bugs worked out and update the OP Noobs. I'm not a programing genius and this gives a new meaning of hacker . . .   
(2018-03-25, 06:05 PM)1jollymon Wrote:
(2018-03-24, 05:50 PM)verkerkbr Wrote:

At first it looks if it is a power problem, but that is not the cause of the starting problem. The cause is only the Noobs installer. You need the latest version of Noobs.

If you replace Noobs with the latest version, then it works as before, but faster. See my other mail for a site with instructions how to do the replacement.

Bram

Thanks Bram, I understand the Noobs issue and appreciate your hardwork and sharing with us. To be clear on what on your other mail post with instructions, could you please driect us there by providing a link?  As you know, there is now a lot of chatter on this subject which makes it confusing.

I guess it's not as simple as just moving the proper Strech files into the OpenPlotter OS Noobs files to start a new SD, right?  

(2018-03-25, 12:30 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to find Bram's link you are refering to. I'm looking forward to plyaing around with the new system. I have a few SD's sitting around and can start over, is not a big deal. My live B system is working for me so I can always fall back on that.  Smile  Although, the other option is to wait untill they get the bugs worked out and update the OP Noobs. I'm not a programing genius and this gives a new meaning of hacker . . .   
The link is here:

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu...bs-sd-card

And the process is that following the line "Yes you can upgrade NOOBS..." If you like I can write down exactly what I did because the process as described doesn't cover the recovery of the OpenPlotter OS. Happy to do that if required (it will test my memory!)
Thanks, If you have the time, or I can wait until OP updates. I appreciate the offer.
(2018-03-22, 12:49 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: Small problem on my Raspberry Pi3B+. The update version checking of OpenPlotter is too fast. It is started before the network start has been completed.

The networks connection is certainly working, but starting slower then version checking.

Bram

This problem does not appear in a version with Linux Stretch.