This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
persistent WiFI AP
Hi Sailoog,

not a real bug, rather a question:

my installation is headless, with OP mainly multiplexing NMEA streams, any configuration is done wireless via VNC and a tablet, OP acts as AP.

Last week I was on the boat, preparing for the next season, afterwards I took the RPi home - but left the WiFi-dongle on the boat. To download some files, I put it on wired internet, but when I came back to the boat, the WiFi AP configuration had disappeared. So I had to take it back home, with the dongle, reactivate AP and return to boat....

I don't know if this is expected behaviour. Personally, I would just love to keep the AP activated, even if no dongle is plugged into the Pi. So to have AP back as soon as the dongle gets re-plugged, without interaction needed.

maybe a switch to keep the AP configuration persistent over reboot?

Thanks for your work!
Christian
use wlan0 the pi's built in wireless for ap, unless you're using pi2 then you might want to run two dongles one for ap the other wlan1 for tethering, internet net sharing, updates etc.
(2018-03-20, 04:40 PM)jim321 Wrote: use wlan0 the pi's built in wireless for ap, unless you're using pi2 then you might want to run two dongles  one for ap the other wlan1  for tethering, internet net sharing, updates etc.

You're right, would not have happened like this with a pi3, actually I am still using the pi2, which works nicely and uses a little less energy.

I have found another solution: usb-tethering with a cable. USB-net is actually already activated in OP, and with VX connectbot on android is another way to access the box, when wifi is broken.

thanks
Christian