This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mapping SOG to Speed Thru Water
Bringing this old, unanswered, thread back to life.

I have a new-to-me boat, and I've determined that the paddlewheel wiring is broken, and maybe the paddlewheel sensor itself is broken.  For my Raymarine ST60+ instruments, the broken wire is turning the Tridata display into a repeater, and the Wind display doesn't show True Wind, only Apparent (as it needs STW).

I have recently networked all of my NMEA2000 instruments to/from SeaTalk, as well as WiFi to Openplotter.  Because my Garmin chartplotter has sea temp in the depth transducer, the ST60+ Tridata is now showing ("repeating") sea temperature from the Garmin device.  But Water Speed and True Wind isn't working because Raymarine needs STW and it doesn't care about SOG.

Until I get new wiring and/or paddlewheel, I'd like to "copy" my SOG/VTG into a VHW Speed Through Water.  In doing so, I hope that the now-repeater-display will at least show SOG instead of 0.00, and that the Wind display will show True Wind, even if not completely accurate due to SOG vs. STW.  It looks like VTG and VHW have identical structure, other than SOG vs. STW.  It is also key that I be able to send this out on the TCP connection on WLAN1/192.168.1.2 which is connected to my WiFi NMEA multiplexer, and not just WLAN9 which is the openplotter.local (10.10.10.1).  In doing so, it will be put onto the SeaTalk network.

I don't know how to do this.  I'm guessing I'll need Node-Red to accomplish this.  But I'm Node Red illiterate.  I wouldn't know how to even start.  Can anyone help?

Messages In This Thread
Mapping SOG to Speed Thru Water - by noworries - 2018-04-02, 07:45 PM
RE: Mapping SOG to Speed Thru Water - by we9v - 2023-02-26, 02:05 AM
RE: Mapping SOG to Speed Thru Water - by we9v - 2023-02-26, 04:47 AM
RE: Mapping SOG to Speed Thru Water - by tkurki - 2023-02-27, 10:12 PM
RE: Mapping SOG to Speed Thru Water - by we9v - 2023-02-27, 11:19 PM
RE: Mapping SOG to Speed Thru Water - by we9v - 2023-03-01, 11:11 PM