This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] restart Signal K from script
Hi Sailoog,

I know you are really busy right now with the new hats, so just a quick question:
To get correct reading from 1W temp sensor I have to restart Signal K, about 30 sec after booting. I would like to automatize this in order to have it running headless.

So my question is if I can just kill Signal K with a kill `pidof npm` and restart with the commandline I see on ps ax, or do I have to take care of a special environment?

Thanks in advance
Christian
why do you need to restart SK?
"I have to restart Signal K, about 30 sec after booting."

you need to wait longer i have done the same thing, sk needs some time .i replaced the startup sound in op with a mp3 i like, when the songs done everything is reporting right in sk,
(2018-04-09, 08:23 PM)jim321 Wrote: "I have to restart Signal K, about 30 sec after booting."

you need to wait longer i have done the same thing, sk needs some time  .i replaced the startup sound in op with a mp3 i like, when the songs done everything is reporting right in sk,

well, I waited a couple of minutes, but nothing settles down correctly - I have to restart SK manually to get correct readings.

@Sailoog: I have a 1W-temp sensor (DS18B20) on exhaust, whose reading is translated by NMEA-Generator to $OCMTW-Sentence, which in turn is send to the cockpit instrument.

After a fresh boot, the reading for 1W-temp on NMEA diagnostic output is -273.1 - the cockpit instrument won't show anything as this value is out of range. I need to restart SK manually - round about 30sec to 1 min after boot - to get correct values, e.g. 15.3°C on a cold motor.
As I want OP to run completely headless, I need to automate this restart - that's why I asked for a "how-to"

thanks a lot
Christian
(2018-04-10, 04:47 PM)CVL Wrote:
(2018-04-09, 08:23 PM)jim321 Wrote: "I have to restart Signal K, about 30 sec after booting."

you need to wait longer i have done the same thing, sk needs some time  .i replaced the startup sound in op with a mp3 i like, when the songs done everything is reporting right in sk,

well, I waited a couple of minutes, but nothing settles down correctly - I have to restart SK manually to get correct  readings.

@Sailoog: I have a 1W-temp sensor (DS18B20) on exhaust, whose reading is translated by NMEA-Generator to $OCMTW-Sentence, which in turn is send to the cockpit instrument.

After a fresh boot, the reading for 1W-temp on NMEA diagnostic output is -273.1 - the cockpit instrument won't show anything as this value is out of range. I need to restart SK manually - round about 30sec to 1 min after boot - to get correct values, e.g. 15.3°C on a cold motor.
As I want OP to run completely headless, I need to automate this restart - that's why I asked for a "how-to"

thanks a lot
Christian

I'm having a similar problem with converting my heading sensor as well as temp and pressure from a BME280 to NMEA sentences. When I start it up everything reports back zero to OpenCPN as well to my Elite 7 Ti plotter/finder. If I VNC into the Pi, and do an SK diagnostic the values are correct in Signal K just not being translated to NMEA but if I restart the Signal K then everything works as designed and is stable.

Since I always run a Windows tablet it's not a real big deal, just an extra minute of setup time when I first get on the water but it makes an otherwise professional type setup (I even have a Pimoroni On/Off Shim installed for push button foolproof start up and shutdown) kind of unprofessional and being a professional engineer it's driving me crazy and kicking in my engineering OCD ....... 

Just for the record my setup consists of a dAISy AIS hat and a NEO M8N GPS module in one box fed with a 1 ft cable to an FT232 USB serial converter on a Pi3, a 9 DOF IMU and a BME280 temp humidity pressure sensor mounted in a Stevenson Screen fed to the Pi with another 1 ft cable and the NMEA in/out from my Lowrance Elite 7 Ti finder/plotter fed to a pair of RS-422 to USB converters which sends heading, GPS and AIS to the finder and receives depth (DBT, DPT) and water temp (MTW) sentences from the finder.  I'm using 4 conductor plus drain shielded data cable and 4 pin aviation plugs and jacks to tie everything together and everything is in custom designed 3D printed white enclosures. 
I found a slightly faster workaround. Connect via VNC and then hit the 'play' button up on the toolbar. That seems to restart OpenChartplotter. It should also make it possible to make a shell script to automate the process either running 'x' amount of time after startup or I think I'd like it to do it after it senses GPS lock
I think by "wait" they may mean a startup delay before launching signalk. I think I have 10 seconds and it cured some ills.
(2018-05-25, 06:03 PM)Saqqara Wrote: I think by "wait" they may mean a startup delay before launching signalk. I think I have 10 seconds and it cured some ills.

That's basically what I ended up doing, I went to the 'startup' tab and enter 10 in the 'Delay" box. Works like a charm every time now. I just didn't notice that was there until a couple of days ago. It's getting the final installation in my boat this weekend. Mine is a bit unique because I'm an inland fisherman who makes custom depth maps and habitat maps with sidescan overlays and since I also spend a lot of time on the Mississippi River I also have an AIS receiver to track barge and large riverboat activity especially when I'm targeting the tips of wingdams and channel drop off ledges. I also like to track weather data in my fish catch logs. So I'm using OP to tie all this together along with a Lowrance finder/plotter and sending everything a Windows 10 tablet for logging and processing