This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting NMEA Wind data from NASA Clipper
Thanks Saqqara and Jim !

Of course i am not giving up !

I am actually making some kind of progress too.
I have tried again connecting using a different RS232/USB and that seems to work better than the RS422 /USB adapter. The input is cleaner without any misread sentences. There are two problems i see at the moment:
- The autosetup still hangs until i briefly disconnect RS232 ... it is like it becomes hypnotized and freezes. After the disconnect it continues creating a selectable mapping ttyOP_UNDEF 4800 baud, direction in etc. If i now create an entry in the NMEA0183 tab (name it, select Port ttyOP_UNDEF, 4800 baud, IN, OK, Apply changes etc) i see no input in the diagnostic window for the newly created entry.

- If i use an RS232 with the mapping and loopbacks Didier propose in his article, my Instument freezes. With just Tx & Rx connected, no loopbacks it works fine.

This is like playing adventure game like MYST, strange and intriguing Puzzles every day! ....but sorta' fun.

/M
(2018-04-17, 12:39 AM)Smartell Wrote: Thanks Saqqara and Jim !

Of course i am not giving up !

I am actually making some kind of progress too.
I have tried again connecting using a different RS232/USB and that seems to work better than the RS422 /USB adapter. The input is cleaner without any misread sentences. There are two problems i see at the moment:
- The autosetup still hangs until i briefly disconnect RS232 ... it is like it becomes hypnotized and freezes. After the disconnect it continues creating a selectable mapping ttyOP_UNDEF 4800 baud, direction in etc. If i now create an entry in the NMEA0183 tab (name it, select Port ttyOP_UNDEF, 4800 baud, IN, OK, Apply changes etc) i see no input in the diagnostic window for the newly created entry.

- If i use an RS232 with the mapping and loopbacks Didier propose in his article, my Instument freezes. With just Tx & Rx connected, no loopbacks it works fine.

This is like playing adventure game like MYST, strange and intriguing Puzzles every day! ....but sorta' fun.

/M
Hi Smartell,
All my sympathy, as I spent a few months on the matter !
How loopback can freeze the device itself as it is only connected to RX and GND ...
BTW, in the loopback, some do  mention pin 1 (to be looped with 4 & 6), and some don't (only 4 & 6, 1 not mentioned). Maybe you could test looping 4 - 6 (not 1 ), and 7 - 8 ...
I didn't had to strugle much with autosetup. Just connect your RS232 adapter to the cold RPi (not to the NASA instrument), bootup, and then it should appear in OP's USB tab when you hit the Add button. If you already have a  port with similar hardware you will have to identify by "port" and not by "device" .
take courage Smile  ...
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Well ...i think that i have tried just about everything by now but it's not working. This can't be a configuration issue, it must be a bug.

I have tried different ways of connecting my NASA clipper via RS422, RS232 Didier-style, RS232 clean (no loopbacks etc)  and i get nice strong blinking green lights and can see the $WIMWV sentences flowing nicely when doing the Auto Setup. I can add the interface in the USB manager, i can create a new entry in the NMEA tab (serial, in, 4800, no filters, apply settings, restart etc) but when i select my new entry and click diagnostic, there is nothing and i get a timeout.

I have tried configuring entries in the NMEA tab selecting all the available ports but there is no wind data on any of the available ports, including the RS232 or RS422 defined port (from the autosetup)

I have also tried to minimize the system, all hats and other sensors disconnected to try to get rid of any interference from them.

The NASA clipper wind system is working nicely on my desktop, displaying changes in the wind direction when i move the vane (yes, i tried that when autosetup was running and the values in the sentences changed !)

So, Kplex is getting the information but open plotter seems not to be capable to handle the information

I would love to see some screenshots from a working NASA Clipper setup (if that exists)

My sailboat is in the water and the mast is going on soon after which i have to mount the Wind instruments on the boat effectively suspending further experiments ,,, :-(  

I would /greatly/ appreciate any kind of help or hints to get this done.

/Mike the Desperate
(2018-05-02, 12:00 AM)Smartell Wrote: Well ...i think that i have tried just about everything by now but it's not working. This can't be a configuration issue, it must be a bug.

I have tried different ways of connecting my NASA clipper via RS422, RS232 Didier-style, RS232 clean (no loopbacks etc)  and i get nice strong blinking green lights and can see the $WIMWV sentences flowing nicely when doing the Auto Setup. I can add the interface in the USB manager, i can create a new entry in the NMEA tab (serial, in, 4800, no filters, apply settings, restart etc) but when i select my new entry and click diagnostic, there is nothing and i get a timeout.

I have tried configuring entries in the NMEA tab selecting all the available ports but there is no wind data on any of the available ports, including the RS232 or RS422 defined port (from the autosetup)

I have also tried to minimize the system, all hats and other sensors disconnected to try to get rid of any interference from them.

The NASA clipper wind system is working nicely on my desktop, displaying changes in the wind direction when i move the vane (yes, i tried that when autosetup was running and the values in the sentences changed !)

So, Kplex is getting the information but open plotter seems not to be capable to handle the information

I would love to see some screenshots from a working NASA Clipper setup (if that exists)

My sailboat is in the water and the mast is going on soon after which i have to mount the Wind instruments on the boat effectively suspending further experiments ,,, :-(  

/Mike the Desperate

Is the checksum from the nasa OK? I have an older wind sensor from. Nasa which adds a wrong nmea checksum, took a while to find. Sorted it by having an arduino recalculate the checksum. Could you paste one of the messages?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
(2018-05-02, 09:16 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2018-05-02, 12:00 AM)Smartell Wrote: Well ...i think that i have tried just about everything by now but it's not working. This can't be a configuration issue, it must be a bug.

/Mike the Desperate

Is the checksum from the nasa OK? I have an older wind sensor from. Nasa which adds a wrong nmea checksum, took a while to find. Sorted it by having an arduino recalculate the checksum. Could you paste one of the messages?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Hi Paddy.

Checksums...I have no information about the NASA messages beyond what i have posted earlier from the auto-setup (MWW sentences) and i see no checksum there. How can i get the logs/messages you are asking for?

My NASA Clipper Wind is brand new but i don't know if the checksums are correct. I think that they mention in Stripydog Kplex Config that you can turn off the checksum locally [checksum=no] in the "Advanced" config so i tried that but it still did not work. 

Sounds a bit ambitious to have an Arduino recalculating the checksums bu i would be interested in trying that if nothing else works, have a few lying around. Of course, it would be nice if the NASA gear was supported by Open Plotter and i really hope that the new hats/sw will support that part of the market.

Tell me if there is something that i can do to help you help me
(2018-05-02, 10:55 AM)Smartell Wrote: Hi Paddy.

Checksums...I have no information about the NASA messages beyond what i have posted earlier from the auto-setup (MWW sentences) and i see no checksum there. How can i get the logs/messages you are asking for?

My NASA Clipper Wind is brand new but i don't know if the checksums are correct. I think that they mention in Stripydog Kplex Config that you can turn off the checksum locally [checksum=no] in the "Advanced" config so i tried that but it still did not work. 

Sounds a bit ambitious to have an Arduino recalculating the checksums bu i would be interested in trying that if nothing else works, have a few lying around. Of course, it would be nice if the NASA gear was supported by Open Plotter and i really hope that the new hats/sw will support that part of the market.

Can you see the messages anywhere? Should look something like - $WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C (This is one with the wrong checksum - it should be - $WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*26 . Check it online here - http://www.hhhh.org/wiml/proj/nmeaxor.html)
(2018-05-02, 11:02 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2018-05-02, 10:55 AM)Smartell Wrote: Hi Paddy.

Can you see the messages anywhere? Should look something like - $WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C (This is one with the wrong checksum - it should be - $WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*26 . Check it online here - http://www.hhhh.org/wiml/proj/nmeaxor.html)

Yes, the messages are in my first post in this thread:  $WIMWV,358,R,0,N,A*2    so, using your link, it seems that the checksum should be 29 not 2...right?

/M
(2018-05-02, 12:11 PM)Smartell Wrote: Yes, the messages are in my first post in this thread:  $WIMWV,358,R,0,N,A*2    so, using your link, it seems that the checksum should be 29 not 2...right?

/M

I have it coming out as $WIMWV,358,R,0,N,A*2D.  You insert the "WIMWV,358,R,0,N,A"

But something looks odd with the first post, most of the checksums look like they are missing the last character, instead of XXX......*2d  it's XXX....*2 with the last character missing - odd. Though maybe the checksum is OK, it looks halfway there anyway, problem might be later on.

What do you see with this in a terminal ? >
 cat /dev/ttyUSB0
Ok, so i lose the $ (just like normal life then)

I will check the command when i get back from work today

/Micael
Hi Paddy,

Got a lot of info with the cat /dev/ttyUSB0, unfortunately, not so good outcome

First i tried An Aten RS232/USB adapter:
Got like no line breaks, it kept overwriting itself - Hard to decipher

Swapped to an FTDI RS232/USB adapter and got slightly more readable information. A typical line could read:
$WIMWV,181,R,0,N,A*2B$WIMWV,181,R,0,N,A*2$WIMWV,181,R,0,N,A*2B

or

$WIMWV,213,R,11.6,N,A*0$WIMWV,204,R,11.0,N,A*0$WIMWV,187,R,10.6,N,A*0$WIMWV,156,R,10.2,N,A*0$WIMWV,105,R,9.5,N,A*35$WIMWV,31,R,9.0$WIMWV,9,R,8.6,N,A*3A$WIMWV,6,R,8.2,N,A*31$WIMWV,6,R,7.9,N,A*3$WIMWV,7,R,7.6,N,A*3B$WIMWV,7,R,7.2,N,A*3F$WIMWV,8,R,7.0,N,A*3$WIMWV,8,R,6.8,N,A*3B

Swapped to the CAN stick (bought from Sailoog) and got the "overwriting itself" again. This time i pressed the enter key ...eh... "rythmically" and got the following (my manual reassembly/linebreaks)
$WIMWV,319,R,0,N,A*28
$WIMWV,326,R,0,N,A*20
$RNMWV,243,R,0,N,A*26B
$WIMWV,233,R,0,N,A*21
$WIMWV,233,R,0,N,A*21
$
$WIMWV,233,R,0,N,A*21
$WIMWV,233,R,0,N,A*21
WW2NW
$WIMWV,233,R,0,N,A*21
$WIMW21
$WIMWV,234,R,0,N,A*26