This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting NMEA Wind data from NASA Clipper
Paddy, you are correct. Did a new check and after "startup stop" i got a clean log in putty, no misbehavior from my mast unit (apart from the linefeeding business)

/M
Stripydog has a kplex forum, perhaps you can raise the question about configuring line feeds there? Or wait for the new USB converter.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
(2018-06-18, 01:03 AM)Smartell Wrote: Paddy, you are correct. Did a new check and after "startup stop" i got a clean log in putty, no misbehavior from my mast unit (apart from the linefeeding business)

/M

OK, just had another thought - after startup stop you could try setting up Opencpn to get data direct from the Nasa by adding a serial port pointing at the dev/***  port which is the USB/serial. I think opencpn debug nmea shows the line returns etc as hex so that might show just what is getting sent by the Nasa. 

Also, found this on google, though haven't really read through it yet >

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/...ReQRE48kv0
Looks very relevant.

One thought i had (happens occasionally): Maybe it is the putty-peeking that causes the disturbance. OpenPlotter/Kplex is consuming the serial data as it should and i am using Putty at the same time to look at the data. (????)

Meanwhile it may be the linefeed issue that is causing the real problem so tonight i will check the kplex discussion link you attached.

BR/M
(2018-06-18, 07:07 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2018-06-18, 01:03 AM)Smartell Wrote: Paddy, you are correct. Did a new check and after "startup stop" i got a clean log in putty, no misbehavior from my mast unit (apart from the linefeeding business)

/M

OK, just had another thought - after startup stop you could try setting up Opencpn to get data direct from the Nasa by adding a serial port pointing at the dev/***  port which is the USB/serial. I think opencpn debug nmea shows the line returns etc as hex so that might show just what is getting sent by the Nasa. 

Also, found this on google, though haven't really read through it yet >

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/...ReQRE48kv0

Checked the output from the mast unit and the only thing sent between the checksum and the $ of the next message is 0D  which i think is a CR so there is no LF

/M
Paddy (et. al.),

After reading through the discussion in the link you provided, studying the NMEA standard and reading through the configuration manual for KPLEX i think that i now know what the root cause is.

NASA terminates the messages with <CR> and not with >CR> <LF> as expected which leads to the messages being discarded by KPLEX

Question is: Is there anything we NASA equipment owners can do about it ... any ideas about possible fixes?

/M
Didn't you have line feeds on a PC on post #28 above?

(2018-06-20, 12:49 AM)Saqqara Wrote: Didn't you have line feeds on a PC on post #28 above?

No, at that time i was looking for correct checksums and that was either manually re-formatted by me or using a setting in Putty "Implicit LF in every CR"

/M
(2018-06-19, 11:53 PM)Smartell Wrote: Question is: Is there anything we NASA equipment owners can do about it ... any ideas about possible fixes?

/M

Node red can do that for you. First you need to make sure nothing else is talking to the serial port so delete any entries pointing to it in the serial tab of openplotter. 

Then go into 10.10.10.1:1880 an look for a serial node on the left. 
[Image: AK9xN6L.png]

Drag the input onto the main screen then drag the debug node and connect the output little box on the left of the serial node to the input of the debug node. Double click on the serial node and fill in the path to the serial port - something like /dev/tty...
Then click deploy and you should see the data streaming in the debug tab on the left of the screen. If the serial node isn't there you'll need to install it, easy enough, in the menu button top right there's a manage palette option, click on that then on install and search for serial, then install node-red-node-serialport and it should now be available. Once we confirm data is coming in we can go onto the next step. Node red is great!! Cool
Thanks Paddy,

I have used node red before to test the different "endings" \r , \n, $ etc. and then with the correct setting for NASA (\r) , seen the stream in the debug window...nice and clean. I guess that you are saying that i can send that stream i see back to KLPEX?

/Micael