This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting NMEA Wind data from NASA Clipper
(2018-05-02, 12:00 AM)Smartell Wrote: Well ...i think that i have tried just about everything by now but it's not working. This can't be a configuration issue, it must be a bug.

I have tried different ways of connecting my NASA clipper via RS422, RS232 Didier-style, RS232 clean (no loopbacks etc)  and i get nice strong blinking green lights and can see the $WIMWV sentences flowing nicely when doing the Auto Setup. I can add the interface in the USB manager, i can create a new entry in the NMEA tab (serial, in, 4800, no filters, apply settings, restart etc) but when i select my new entry and click diagnostic, there is nothing and i get a timeout.

I have tried configuring entries in the NMEA tab selecting all the available ports but there is no wind data on any of the available ports, including the RS232 or RS422 defined port (from the autosetup)

I have also tried to minimize the system, all hats and other sensors disconnected to try to get rid of any interference from them.

The NASA clipper wind system is working nicely on my desktop, displaying changes in the wind direction when i move the vane (yes, i tried that when autosetup was running and the values in the sentences changed !)

So, Kplex is getting the information but open plotter seems not to be capable to handle the information

I would love to see some screenshots from a working NASA Clipper setup (if that exists)

My sailboat is in the water and the mast is going on soon after which i have to mount the Wind instruments on the boat effectively suspending further experiments ,,, :-(  

I would /greatly/ appreciate any kind of help or hints to get this done.

/Mike the Desperate

Is the checksum from the nasa OK? I have an older wind sensor from. Nasa which adds a wrong nmea checksum, took a while to find. Sorted it by having an arduino recalculate the checksum. Could you paste one of the messages?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Messages In This Thread
RE: Connecting NMEA Wind data from NASA Clipper - by PaddyB - 2018-05-02, 09:16 AM