This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PiDesktop and SSD
I was tempted to utilize an SSD instead of the SD, and the Farnell's PiDesktop seems an attractive solution.
In the attached pdf I  relate this experience.

Attached Files
.pdf   PiDesktop and SSD.pdf (Size: 354.9 KB / Downloads: 336)
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

"There is also a possibility not to use an SD at all, but it require you to write in a write once memory,
which is non reversible : you will never more boot that RPi from a SD card, and should the process
fails your RPi will be DEAD ! "

this is wrong.^^^^^^^

no worry's about setting the bit for booting without sd card.
It's not like you are DISABLING sd card booting by doing this
The Pi boot ROM code looks for an SD card first. Only if a bootable SD card isn't found will it look for a bootable MassStorageDevice.
i have it set on mine and still booting openplotter from sd card and Raspbian from usb.
patiently waiting for an img.Smile
(2018-04-21, 10:42 AM)Didier B Wrote: I was tempted to utilize an SSD instead of the SD, and the Farnell's PiDesktop seems an attractive solution.
In the attached pdf I  relate this experience.

I havent used SSD but have implemented PWM fan cooling (I note in your config document you didn't like the noise !)
I've done a separate "How I did it" if you are interested.  Smile