This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Op Voice Control
Big Grin 
So waking this morning I had the brilliant idea of Voice control for Openplotter/pypilot along the lines of Alexa

IE "Boat Name Tack", or "Boat Name Steer course 346", and then on completion of manouver have it repeat back "steering course 346".  plus at least twenty more commands. Maybe as a Depth voice repeater.

I can see this as being a real third hand on board and well in advance of Raymarine and B&G

Mad or what !!!
most voice control software requires internet to work.
(2018-04-30, 08:02 AM)keithwhite Wrote: So waking this morning I had the brilliant idea of Voice control for Openplotter/pypilot along the lines of Alexa

IE "Boat Name Tack", or "Boat Name Steer course 346", and then on completion of manouver have it repeat back "steering course 346".  plus at least twenty more commands. Maybe as a Depth voice repeater.  

I can see this as being a real third hand on board and well in advance of Raymarine and B&G

Mad or what !!!
In a strong ambient noise (engine, wind, waves, gibb !) voice control could give unexpected results ! Big Grin
A joystick to control rudder and engine could be so classy ! Angel
Seriously I am also dreaming of a voice indication of depth to help dropping the anchor at the right point Cool
They have that in planes to inform about remaining height under the wheels, don't they ?
I don't understand the need for internet connection in voice control
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

there is a text to speech in nodered if you want "play audio" node.
most speech recognition uses an api there for needs internet
There are a couple out there for the Pi CMU Sphinx and Julius but they look hard to setup
(2018-04-30, 04:55 PM)keithwhite Wrote: There are a couple out there for the Pi CMU Sphinx and Julius but they look hard to setup

This is mostly a task for the autopilot, but could maybe be used for charts as well.

Let me know if you find any software for raspberry pi that works well.   Even if you have to train it, it could be fun, but I doubt I would rely on it in the near future.