This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can not set time from NMEA
I have set up a Rasberry Pi 3 with OpenPlotter and a Garmin 128 GPS connected with a serial to USB converter. It works quite well and i get NMEA data to OpenCPN but there are some problems, one of them beeing setting the Rasberrys time. When I click the 'Set time from NMEA' button I get Error 111 - Failed to connect with localhost: 10109.

Another problem is with the compass. OpenPlotter recognizes the compass chip but when i press the 'calibration' button nothing happens...

OpenPlotter is updated to the lates version

Do anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files Image(s)

(2018-05-23, 07:05 AM)s99kalle Wrote: I have set up a Rasberry Pi 3 with OpenPlotter and a Garmin 128 GPS connected with a serial to USB converter. It works quite well and i get NMEA data to OpenCPN but there are some problems, one of them beeing setting the Rasberrys time. When I click the 'Set time from NMEA' button I get Error 111 - Failed to connect with localhost: 10109.

Another problem is with the compass. OpenPlotter recognizes the compass chip but when i press the 'calibration' button nothing happens...

OpenPlotter is updated to the lates version

Do anyone have any ideas?

Can you post a screenshot of the NMEA 0183 tab of Openplotter? (Next to USB Manager tab)

Thanks
I spent some time on the boat last night struggeling with Openplotter and I made at least some progress.
After adding my GPS in the NMEA 0183 tab I can now set the Pi's time from NMEA. There are however still two problems remaining; I do not get any AIS targets and can't calibrate the compass or get any compass data.
When I first installed an older version of Openplotter during the winter I got AIS working but after a reinstall and upgrading to the latest version I don't get any AIS data at all. I use a SDR recevier that seems to work, I can calibrate it and I have tried diferent bands, different channels and different ppms but I do no get any AIS data at all. I have two different VHF antennas on the boat and I have tried them both. How do I get on with finding what the problem is?
The compass is a MPU-9255 and it is detected by Openplotter. I have tried restarting the sensor and reseting but when I tyr pressing the Calibration and Scope buttons nothing happens?

I have attached some screenshots from Openplotter.

Another screenshot...

Attached Files Image(s)

It turned out that the first problem isn't solved after all... If I use the manually added GPS serial in i can get time from NMEA but then OpenCPN seems to sporadically lose GPS data and the boat symbol turns grey. Switching of the GPS serial in and OpenCPN gets stable but I can't get time from NMEA...
How is OpenPLotter meant to be setup?
This is solved!
It was the connection in OpenCPN that was the problem. It was connected directly to the GPS and not via OpenPlotter and I guess this didn't worked when OpenPlotter also shared the same signal.
Connecting the GPS in OpenPlotter and connect OpenCPN with UDP solved the problem.