This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIS with RTL-SDR
I have a Pi 3 with an RTL-SDR dongle connected to the Pi's USB with a cable with extra power supply. The RTL is connected to a proper VHF antenna. Setting it all up at home during the winter it worked without problems on an older Openplotter version. After updating AIS reception has been more unstable and now it doesn't work at all...

I have been reading the manual and old threads on the forum and tried everything without success. The Pi recognizes the RTL and calibration seems to work but I get no AIS data to OpenCPN.

When running rtl_fm an comparing with other forum posts I am not getting the same result.
It says:

Signal caught, exiting!
User cancel, exiting....

and does not show any data and this is without me having stopped it.

I do get some data in the system_a diagnostic. Is this AIS-related data?
OpenCPN doesn't show any AIS targets and there is nothing in the AIS target list either.

When running rtl_fm an comparing with other forum posts I am not getting the same result.
It says:

Signal caught, exiting!
User cancel, exiting....

and does not show any data and this is without me having stopped it.

I do get some data in the system_a diagnostic. Is this AIS-related data?
OpenCPN doesn't show any AIS targets and there is nothing in the AIS target list either.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello,

The packets you receive are data from foreign ships.

I still use the old version of AisDeco2

Give it a try. This runs alongside Openplotter.

Greetings Luxi
Angel  Entschuldigung für mein Englisch. Es ist "deepl.com english"
PN bitte auf german.  Big Grin
This is solved!
It was the connection in OpenCPN that was the problem. It was connected directly to the GPS and not via OpenPlotter.
Hi...the Pi outputs a relatively weak HDMI signal. Some devices may not immediately notice the Pi's HDMI or may not do the negotiation.
Setting the hdmi_force_hotplug=1 makes sure the Pi believes the monitor/TV is really there.
You might also need to set config_hdmi_boost=4 or even higher (up to 9) if your display needs a stronger signal.

turnkey pcb