This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wifi network v1.0
trying to get wlan1 as internet sharing device
rpi3 AP+client
rpi3 AP/client
getting the device you want to share is in use (bridge or AP)
no wireless interfaces found

ok got it to work then on reboot was messed up again.connected to my home ap on reboot
wlan1 associated with openplotter
wlan1 configured 10.10.10.1/24
eth0 link is down
rename3 not associated

i want to use my usb long range adapter
tried to disabling onboard wifi in boot config"dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi" and now the usb dongle is wlan0
i have knowledge of networking but cant get this to work guess i'll wait till i can rtfm
(2018-05-29, 05:49 PM)jim321 Wrote: tried to disabling onboard wifi in boot config"dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi" and now the usb dongle is wlan0
i have knowledge of networking but cant get this to work guess i'll wait till i can rtfm

use only options for your raspberry model 3B or 3B+

when you select AP + client, AP will be always the internal wifi and it will be always wlan1. Client will be always your external device and it will be always wlan0. Yes I know this is just the opposite than expected but this way we can be sure that udev rules are respected.

So if you select AP + client you have to choose wlan0 as sharing internet device.
rpi3 AP/client -> does everything with internal wifi ! Don't use an usb wifi stick with this setting

rpi3 AP + client -> use wlan1 (internal wlan as AP) wlan0 should be the usb wifi
Without this rule sometimes internal wlan is wlan0 and othertimes the usb wifi stick is wlan0.
To solve this problem, internal wlan is set to wlan1 in udev.

But if there is a rename wlan in the list something went wrong.
Did that happen when you power up the rpi ?
Is it every time the same?
thanks that is confusing i will try again
i have it working
rpi3AP/client
wlan0
popup @taskbar = wlan0 associated my home net
wlan0 my ip address
uap0 associated openplotter
uap0 op's ip address
eth0 link down
wlan1 not associated
i scan networks i get 4 ap's, with the alfa adapter i get 20 ap's on a scan

(2018-05-29, 06:21 PM)e-sailing Wrote: rpi3 AP/client -> does everything with internal wifi ! Don't use an usb wifi stick with this setting

rpi3 AP + client -> use wlan1 (internal wlan as AP) wlan0 should be the usb wifi
Without this rule sometimes internal wlan is wlan0 and othertimes the usb wifi stick is wlan0.
To solve this problem, internal wlan is set to wlan1 in udev.

But if there is a rename wlan in the list something went wrong.
Did that happen when you power up the rpi ?
Is it every time the same?

it has happened a few times i have rebooted like a hundred times tring to use the usb for internet connection

OK i just setup as
rpi3:AP + client
share wlan0
in taskbar popup shows the rename3 not associated.wlan1 is the AP.

strange rebooted again it works correctly now..
that wlan change thru me off it was always wlan1
Been having similar issues trying to set up my network.

I have a wifi extender connected to eth0 and initially it was connecting fine and providing internet but I was having problems setting the Pi as an access point.

I managed to get it working then changed the wifi password and now it is not connecting to the wifi extender. I'm sure I must have done something else I doubt changing the default password would break it.

Anyway the network mode I have set is RPi3:AP/Client + Bridge eth0 and the internet sharing device is wlan0.

The network status is:      br0 configured 10.10.10.1/24
                                        eth0 configured 169.254.40.107/16
                                        uap0 associated with openplotter
                                        uap0 configured 169.254.209.115/16
                                        wlan0 not associated

The ip address of the wifi extender should be 192.168.88.xx which I think it was when things were working. Somehow it seems to be getting assigned a different ip address.

The other option I've tried is assigning a static address to eth0 but the values I'm used to in the past were:
                                        IP Address 192.168.88.2
                                        Net Mask 255.255.255.0
                                        Gateway 192.168.88.1
                                        DNS Server 192.168.88.1
The options on the eth0 config screen are different and trying different settings I get the same network status as above except:
                                        "eth0 Link is up configuring"  and it just seems to hang there with no change.

As you can probably tell I'm a bit out of my depth here so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
"Anyway the network mode I have set is RPi3:AP/Client + Bridge eth0 and the internet sharing device is wlan0."

i think the share should be eth0 in that setup

"wifi extender connected to eth0" your extender should give an address to eth0.. wlan 1\uap0 should be openplotter ap 10.10.10.1

get rid of the static address let the extender assign it then choose eth0 for share device
and don't forget to apply and reboot.
(2018-06-03, 11:09 PM)jim321 Wrote: "Anyway the network mode I have set is RPi3:AP/Client + Bridge eth0 and the internet sharing device is wlan0."

i think the share should be eth0 in that setup

"wifi extender connected to eth0"  your extender should give an address to eth0.. wlan 1\uap0 should be openplotter ap 10.10.10.1

get rid of the static address let the extender assign it then choose eth0 for share device
and don't forget to apply and reboot.

I thought that the sharing device should be eth0 as well, I'm sure that was the case in v0.10. With v1.0 I don't think I can set eth0 as the share device it gives me an error about it being already in use and switches back to wlan0.

I did have it working at one stage with this setup but the ip address being given to eth0 is not correct anymore for some reason. This was why I was thinking of going to a static address, why do you think this is not a good option.
you may need to start over and set the extender to its defaults get it connected to the internet ap.
see if it gives out addresses you want 192.168.88.xxx
and then try ap/+client+bridge eth0, SET, then eth0 as share. change the password on ap. then APPLY.REBOOT. you wont be using the client..so dont worry about that it is used to do exactly what your extender is doing..
the extender repeater is just another thing it needs to go through it will slow down the connection.
that's why it would be better to use a usb wifi like the alfa long range adapter it does the same thing and easy to setup..it would be the client share device wlan0
"a static address, why do you think this is not a good option"
your forcing something that is done automatically.which just adds to the problem..
any where you have to use a dns server use 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 thats google dns i know they work used them for yrs..
in a rpi terminal this command will give a lot of network info.. arp -a -n

your extender gets its connection from 192.168.1.1 its on a subnet 192.168.88.1 then it gives the pi an address 192.168.88.xxx

what you are doing is

pi sends request to 192.168.88.1 that then has to send to 192.168.1.1 gets whatever webpage download ect sends back to 192.168.88.1 then on to the pi.192.168.88.xxx

where the pi can connect straight to the 192.168.1.1 faster less confusing.and how its built to work

ive got a router with ddwrt running at 2 watts and 12 dpi waterproof outdoor antenna's and don't use it for openplotter.its not the best choice.
(2018-06-04, 08:09 PM)jim321 Wrote: you may need to start over and set the extender to its defaults get it connected to the internet ap.
see if it gives out addresses you want 192.168.88.xxx
and then try  ap/+client+bridge eth0, SET, then eth0 as share. change the password on ap. then APPLY.REBOOT. you wont be using the client..so dont worry about that it is used to do exactly what your extender is doing..
the extender repeater is just another thing it needs to go through it will slow down the connection.
that's why it would be better to use a usb wifi like the alfa long range adapter it does the same thing and easy to setup..it would be the client share device wlan0
"a static address, why do you think this is not a good option"
your forcing something that is done automatically.which just adds to the problem..
any where you have to use a dns server use 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 thats google dns i know they work used them for yrs..
in a rpi terminal this command will give a lot of network info..  arp -a -n

your extender gets its connection from 192.168.1.1 its on a subnet 192.168.88.1  then it gives the pi an address 192.168.88.xxx

what you are doing is

pi sends request to 192.168.88.1 that then has to send to 192.168.1.1 gets whatever webpage download ect sends back to 192.168.88.1 then on to the pi.192.168.88.xxx

where the pi can connect straight to the 192.168.1.1 faster less confusing.and how its built to work

ive got a router with ddwrt running at 2 watts and 12 dpi waterproof outdoor antenna's and don't use it for openplotter.its not the best choice.

Thanks for all that Jim.
That gives me a fair bit to think about. I'm not a network guy and also pretty new to the RPi so will have to do a bit of reading.

I also have a usb extender but I always thought they weren't as effective due to cable losses etc. Maybe my idea of setting the Pi up as a router to distribute wifi through the boat is not the best option.

Anyway I'll try your suggestion and see if I can step back to where it seemed to be working.

Thanks.
Colin