This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CLOSED] Can't install V1 on a USB drive (SSD, or flashdrive)
Hello everybody
I am trying to install V1 on an USB-SSD.
My RPi 3 B (not +) had the write once command to start from a USB media. My V17 was running from the SSD (at least root partition.
According to various posts, the latest Noobs should install itself from an USB drive, provided the write once command has been passed.

I copied to the root of my freshly formatted (FAT32) USB SSD the content of the directory "openplotter_v1.0.0_noobs" but not the directory itself), I removed the SD card, fired up but ... nothing ! I also tried with a flash drive, same failure.
I then tried with the the flash drive after moving the content of the directory to the root of the flash drive, same failure...
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

(2018-05-30, 09:15 AM)Didier B Wrote: Hello everybody
I am trying to install V1 on an USB-SSD.
My RPi 3 B (not +) had the write once command to start from a USB media. My V17 was running from the SSD (at least root partition.
According to various posts, the latest Noobs should install itself from an USB drive, provided the write once command has been passed.

I copied to the root of my freshly formatted (FAT32) USB SSD the content of the directory "openplotter_v1.0.0_noobs" but not the directory itself), I removed the SD card, fired up but ... nothing ! I also tried with a flash drive, same failure.
I then tried with the the flash drive after moving the content of the directory to the root of the flash drive, same failure...

Didier

I don't understand what you mean by directory "openlotter_v1.0.0_noobs". That is the name of the zipped file, not a directory. Once unzipped it creates a directory called NOOBS_v2_8_1 and it is the entire content of that directory that you need to copy to the device you wish to boot from.

Chris
That exactly what I did !  (I had an error message when trying to extract downloaded zip file with 7zip, then I downloaded again).
I re formatted my USB/SSD using partition wizard, then extracted the downloaded zip to it, and removed the SD card. 

Absolutly nothing happens when I try to start the Pi !

I also copied the whole files to an USB flash drive, and again nothing when I try to start ...
I have checked the write once command had been correctly applied to the Pi ...

My config : Pi 3 B, PiDesktop +SSD,
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

did you copy all these files to the drive ?
not in a folder but select all copy paste.

when you extracted to the drive all of those files are in a folder it wont boot like that..
(2018-05-30, 03:51 PM)jim321 Wrote: did you copy all these files to the drive ?

I would say yes, BUT when checking the USB flash I did not found the repertories !
I had to wait until my Pi installed V1 on an SD card (I want to play with it) to check the file list on the SSD: it seems OK, I have in addition to your screen capture :

(2018-05-30, 03:51 PM)jim321 Wrote: did you copy all these files to the drive ?

I would say yes, BUT when checking the USB flash I did not found the repertories !
I had to wait until my Pi installed V1 on an SD card (I want to play with it) to check the file dirllist on the SSD: it seems OK, I have in addition to your screen capture :
- recovery7.img
- riscos-boot.bin
Cordialement
Didier B

Have you tried with a normal NOOBS raspbian? I do not think is a OP bug.
(2018-05-30, 06:23 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Have you tried with a normal NOOBS raspbian? I do not think is a OP bug.

Sailoog, I agree with you.
I would suspect the Pi itself, or the Pidesktop extension mSSD card, as absolutely nothing happens. Already tested with a different power supply.
I am dismantling the whole thing to bring the configuration to a bare minimum : the Pi and one USB drive. If noobs doesn't launch, I will have to test with a new Pi, the occasion to test a B+ ?

EDIT : the test to run Raspbian Noobs from an USB drive failed too.
My pre-conclusion is that the problem is linked to the Pi istelf, but i will wait until that USB feature is duly documented by Raspberry org to confirm that.
Cordialement
Didier B