This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filter incoming PGNs ?
Hi!

How can you filter incoming PGNs from s NMEA2000/ Sealtalk ng network?

Especially I want to block PGN 130577.

The reason I need to do this, is that my Seatalk ng network sends different PGNs, with the same information.

e.g. SOG is send in PGN

129026 with the correct value

and in

130577 with a vaulty value

Both PGNs are mixed in the same signalK key and lets the SOG reading jump between right and faulty values.

It is the same for COG.

I tried with actisense NMEA reader. The PGNs can only be filtered within this App. The filter does not persist in OP.
As I understood, the filter list must be activated by OP with a command.

I also got a suggestion here in the forum to filter in node red, but in node red, the PGN data is already mixed to a signalK key.

I also checked the Raymarine network, no option to block sending PGNs.

Without the possibilitiy to block PGN 130577 I can’t use the CAN-USB converter.

Any ideas?

[Image: 0ab5140d964b524aa398cadaeaf4693d.jpg]
(06-02-2018, 03:12 AM)Alpenskipper Wrote: Hi!

How can you filter incoming PGNs from s NMEA2000/ Sealtalk ng network?

Especially I want to block PGN 130577.

The reason I need to do this, is that my Seatalk ng network sends different PGNs, with the same information.

e.g. SOG is send in PGN

129026 with the correct value

and in

130577 with a vaulty value

Both PGNs are mixed in the same signalK key and lets the SOG reading jump between right and faulty values.

It is the same for COG.

I tried with actisense NMEA reader. The PGNs can only be filtered within this App. The filter does not persist in OP.
As I understood, the filter list must be activated by OP with a command.

I also got a suggestion here in the forum to filter in node red, but in node red, the PGN data is already mixed to a signalK key.

I also checked the Raymarine network, no option to block sending PGNs.

Without the possibilitiy to block PGN 130577 I can’t use the CAN-USB converter.

Any ideas?

[Image: 0ab5140d964b524aa398cadaeaf4693d.jpg]

Hi,

Nobody using the USB-CAN converter?

I guess more people should have the need to filter PGNs in the USB-CAN converter.

Beside the need to filter out double or faulty PGNs, there are so many unnecessary PGNs sent to kplex and node red that the performance goes down a lot.
(06-18-2018, 01:52 AM)Alpenskipper Wrote: Nobody using the USB-CAN converter?

I guess more people should have the need to filter PGNs in the USB-CAN converter.

Beside the need to filter out double or faulty PGNs, there are so many unnecessary PGNs sent to kplex and node red that the performance goes down a lot.

I'm using it but haven't tried it yet with the new version.

I would like to filter the PGNs though.
In OP 1.0 you can only filter the outgoing PGNs.
(06-18-2018, 05:25 AM)Alpenskipper Wrote: In OP 1.0 you can only filter the outgoing PGNs.

I'm having the same problem. It is making the USB-CAN converter pretty much useless.
(06-20-2018, 09:13 PM)Opie91 Wrote:
(06-18-2018, 05:25 AM)Alpenskipper Wrote: In OP 1.0 you can only filter the outgoing PGNs.

I'm having the same problem. It is making the USB-CAN converter pretty much useless.

Yes - I went back to the nmea2usb converter. :-(
Are there any news, on how to filter incoming PGNs?

I would like to use my CAN2USB Stick.
(07-25-2018, 02:23 AM)Alpenskipper Wrote: Are there any news, on how to filter incoming PGNs?

I would like to use my CAN2USB Stick.

Well I did some tests. I edit the actisense-serial.c of canboat (quick & dirty).
First you need the unique ID
"actisense-serial /dev/ttyOP_N2K | grep 60928"
output something like this:
2016-05-19T01:52:27.336Z,6,60928,49,255,8,e5,84,3e,7d,00,8c,64,40
look for the src which you want to filter (here it is 49)
change the order of the last 8 bytes and put it to a c readable hex 0x40648C007D3E84E5
which pgn of the src you want to filter (in this file they are 127250 127505)

git clone https://github.com/e-sailing/canboat.git

edit the actisense-serial.c
change the ID in line 85 (0x40648C007D3E84E5)
change the pgn in line 86 (127250,127505)

cd canboat
make
sudo make install
@e-sailing: Sorry for my late reply and thanks a lot for your comment.
I guess I have to wait for a simpler solution for filtering incoming PGNs, your approach is to complicated for me.

It would be great to be able to filter incoming PGNs in the same way, outgoing PGNs are selectable.
(08-08-2018, 01:16 AM)Alpenskipper Wrote: @e-sailing: Sorry for my late reply and thanks a lot for your comment.
I guess I have to wait for a simpler solution for filtering incoming PGNs, your approach is to complicated for me.

It would be great to be able to filter incoming PGNs in the same way, outgoing PGNs are selectable.

Agree 100%?