This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] WiFi not working.
(2019-10-02, 06:22 AM)StoneCrab Wrote: I've easily spent over 60 hours chipping away at this problem, and still no solution in sight.  I started to think that maybe I have a bad download so I've redownloaded images, noobs etc and reinstalled each several times.  The result is the same each time.  A few things that I've learned though are:

1.  The set your wifi country is due to the wifi radios now having 5 GHz capabilities which aren't acceptable in every country.
2.  The keyboard defaults to a Great Britain keyboard, so when you get in the Linux "weeds", things like | needed in commands aren't where they should be.  Be sure to set your keyboard when you set the wifi country.
3.  Resetting wifi country in the old Raspi Config results in an error which says that the wpa_supplicant file can't be accessed by the OS.  .. this explains the lack of cooperation after setting it or editing the wpa_supplicant.config file.... the operating system can't read the file so it makes no difference.
4.  There are other files in this OS that can't be configured, set or used.  A review of the permissions (that is a headache for another day) reveals that it isn't a permissions issue preventing it from being read, but if you want to fully open the barn door with unrestricted (permissions) access, it will not let you.
5.  Updating and upgrading only makes everything worse.  
6.  Even when the OS reports "no wireless interface found", you can see the interfaces from the terminal window.

My conclusion is that there are some very serious core operating system issues at play here.  I am very disappointed.
Users either report that theirs runs flawlessly or that it doesn't run the wifi at all.  I don't believe that there is a solution out there.
It would be nice to have a fully configured image for the "US" available for download, where this setup procedure is not required. It makes no sense to have hundreds of potential users all banging their heads against the same configuration issues.

to 3.)
In OP 1.2 the dhcpcd-hooks is removed in AP mode. So setting the wifi country code isn't possible (only in client mode). But wpa_supplicant.conf will still be read by the system.
In openplotter-network (2.0.5) we did some changes to dhcpcd-hooks that it doesn't interfere with the AP anymore. Now it is possible to set wifi country while having a working AP. (AP is now wlan9!)

to 4.)
As long as dhcpcd-hooks is removed it wouldn't work. No permission could change that.

to 5.)
We try to get as close as possible to the standard debian.
Sometimes updates have bad influence to network sometimes they solve things.

to 6.)
To get a system which can connect as a client to an AP ( marina hotspot) and act as an AP (boat hotspot) the AP device is blocked against client use. If you only have one interface the message would be correct.
If you have more interfaces (You don't say anything about your usb wifi.) then you should look if an interface is blocked by the terminal comand "rfkill list".

A workaround for you could be to use the intenal wifi as AP.
Connect your android to the marina hotspot.
Connect the rpi with usb cable to your android.
Activate usb tethering on android.

Now you can surf in the internet with your rpi

Advantage:
You choose your wifi hotspot on the Android as usual.
You can save energy.
You don't need a usb wifi.

Disadvantage:
Everytime you restart or reconnect the usb you have to activate tethering again.

btw:
2.0.5 has issues sharing the wlan internet because the client wifi is sometimes wlan0 and sometimes wlan1. (The sharing can be changed without a reboot)
Another general issue is the gateway. If you have more connection to the internet, Linux will only talk to the one with the lowest metric (terminal comand "route").
And sometimes "route" doesn't respond to changes.

Messages In This Thread
[SOLVED] WiFi not working. - by addboy - 2018-06-03, 12:58 PM
RE: WiFi not working. - by JeroenAdam - 2018-06-04, 10:31 AM
RE: WiFi not working. - by Sailoog - 2018-06-04, 08:50 PM
RE: WiFi not working. - by addboy - 2018-06-05, 01:10 PM
RE: WiFi not working. - by John S - 2018-09-05, 05:00 PM
RE: WiFi not working. - by RedRyder - 2018-09-06, 10:52 AM
RE: WiFi not working. - by Geronius - 2018-09-06, 07:05 PM
RE: WiFi not working. - by John S - 2018-09-06, 08:13 PM
RE: WiFi not working. - by e-sailing - 2018-09-07, 10:07 AM
RE: WiFi not working. - by StoneCrab - 2019-09-16, 04:36 AM
RE: [SOLVED] WiFi not working. - by John S - 2018-09-13, 06:20 PM