This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NASA AIS Engine to USB
I have a NASA AIS Engine which outputs data on a serial lead on a Black wire from pin 2 and a screen from pin 5 at 38400 baud, which of the terminals do I use on the serial to USB adapter.
R- and R+ or T- and T+ or GND 

Thanks,
John
The NASA AIS puts out a sort of RS232
I use a serial to USB adapter myself ( prolific chipset )

Your adapter is NMEAv2 to USB
You can try R(eceive) + and -

Pin2 -> R+
Pin5 (shield) -> R-

If it does not work you can try to connect NASA pin5 (shield ) to GND instead of R-
Either may work.

Googling RS422 vs RS232 can provide more technical info since NMEAv2 is electrically RS422

Regards,
(2016-05-27, 08:28 PM)SYWindveer Wrote: The NASA AIS puts out a sort of RS232

Pin2 -> R+
Pin5 (shield) -> R-

If it does not work you can try to connect NASA pin5 (shield ) to GND instead of R-
Either may work.

Googling RS422 vs RS232 can provide more technical info since NMEAv2 is electrically RS422

Regards,

Thanks for that, I am 50 miles from the coast so going to struggle to get a signal at the moment, otherwise I would have just kept swapping them about.
My unit is an older AIS engine 2 and it sends empty AIS messages even when no signal is received
Mine is the original one, going to get the chip upgrade when I see it working.
Tried every combination now and not seen any message in inspector. Confident I have open plotter setup correctly with the correct port and baud 38400 but not seen anything in inspector nor have I seen the green led on the serial to usb convertor light. I set open plotter to output to the convertor and the red light was flickering fine though obviously the AIS engine could do nothing with the data.
Thanks,
John
(2016-05-27, 08:57 PM)gowzel Wrote:

Pin2 -> R+
Pin5 (shield) -> R-

Either may work.

Regards,

Thanks for that, I am 50 miles from the coast so going to struggle to get a signal at the moment, otherwise I would have just kept swapping them about.

Mine outputs a dummy message when it powers up, which shows up in Opencpn. Just pull out the power lead and push back in. On the usb/serial it's wired to recieve and ground. Works fine.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
(2016-05-29, 03:15 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2016-05-27, 08:57 PM)gowzel Wrote:

Pin2 -> R+
Pin5 (shield) -> R-

Either may work.

Regards,

Mine outputs a dummy message when it powers up,  which shows up in Opencpn. Just pull out the power lead and push back in.  On the usb/serial it's wired to recieve and ground. Works fine.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
Yes mine works fine with a usb to serial as well.
NASA cuts a lot of corners with their circuitry to keep the price down.
That's why it may not be compatible with balanced NMEA interfaces.

I have upgraded my AIS Engine 1 to version 2 with the upgrade chip so it can receive AIS B messages.
I was worth the upgrade
I think that my converter could be faulty. I have set it up to input the GPS nmea data into the AIS engine, the red led is flickering away and I have a 2.2V to 0V  signal out of the converter into the AIS. And I have a slower 0V to 0.25V signal on the black and screen wire from th AIS engine. But there is a permanent 4.6 V between R- and R+ and between R+ and GND on the converter. With no signal being sent or received surely there should not be 4.6V there.

Anyone able to test there own?
Thanks,
John
(2016-05-31, 08:29 AM)gowzel Wrote: I think that my converter could be faulty. I have set it up to input the GPS nmea data into the AIS engine, the red led is flickering away and I have a 2.2V to 0V  signal out of the converter into the AIS. And I have a slower 0V to 0.25V signal on the black and screen wire from th AIS engine. But there is a permanent 4.6 V between R- and R+ and between R+ and GND on the converter. With no signal being sent or received surely there should not be 4.6V there.

Anyone able to test there own?
Thanks,
John

I don't have the Sailoog converter and I can't find the schematic for that device.
I did connect my AIS tonight  to a homebrew NMEA mux and it does not work.
This leads me to believe the NASA AIS is only compatible with NMEAv1 which is RS232 compliant , not RS422 as with the Sailoog converter.
Your converter may not be faulty at all.
You may want to get a serial to USB converter, they can be found on eBay for a few dollars. Mine works like a charm with the NASA AIS.

Hope this helps