This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How to run OP as Access Point AND get an Internet Connection?
Thumbs Up 
Hello everyone,

Can't start this first post without saying how flabbergasted I was when recently discovering OpenPlotter and my admiration for the enlighted developpers/sailors who created it!

My settings :
OP V1.0.0 on a RPi3B. 
NMEA’s data stream from my GPS/AIS is coming via a USB serial FTDI cable and correctly read by OpenCPN. 
I have chosen the AP/client setting via OP to be able to use RealVNC as desktop remote server.

BUT I was not able so far to connect seamlessly to the Internet in order to download grib files… 
I managed to share an hazardous Internet connection via USB Teathering and my cellphone on one of the RPi usb port, but this solution did not prove very easy to implement for my «beginner’s skill » :-)

Is there any other/simpler way to run OP/RPi as an access point  (for VNC) AND connect to harbor’s wifi Internet connection?

Many thanks in advance for tips and advise!

Yves - Belgium
If you have a RPI3B (not 3B+) you can set an AP and client simultaneously:

https://docs.sailoog.com/openplotter-v1-x-x/network