This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OP hangs using Faytech display
I am running OP 1.0.2 on a RPi 3 with OpenCPN 4.8.4
At home using a 10" hdmi display everything runs fine. On my boat I use a Faytech 10" display. The system starts up normally, OP is started, but hangs at the command 
'checking 400 x 800 display' and keeps hanging. The Faytech display did work with older OP versions.
Ik know the Faytech display needs an Egalax driver and this driver is installed. Any further suggestions?

Regards, Andries
(2018-07-08, 10:12 PM)agv Wrote: I am running OP 1.0.2 on a RPi 3 with OpenCPN 4.8.4
At home using a 10" hdmi display everything runs fine. On my boat I use a Faytech 10" display. The system starts up normally, OP is started, but hangs at the command 
'checking 400 x 800 display' and keeps hanging. The Faytech display did work with older OP versions.
Ik know the Faytech display needs an Egalax driver and this driver is installed. Any further suggestions?

Regards, Andries

Updated the latest Linux files with sudo apt update en then sudo apt upgrade and the problem seems to be gone. Otherwise you can adjust the monitor setting, that also worked.

But here is the problem no longer a problem. It is a bit strange. Sometimes the starting sequens worked well and sometimes it hung on the screen setting.
OK, I will try that. Regarding the adjusting of the monitor setting: I use a 10" IP65 Faytech display (1024 x 768). What monitor setting did you use?
Something like

hdmi-cvt = 1024 768 60 0 0 0

in the config.txt?

Andries
After updating to the latest Linux files (sudo apt update - sudo apt upgrade) and changing the monitor setting in config.txt  (hdmi_mode=87, hdmi_cvt =1024 768 60 1 0 0 0) the problem is still there: in the Starting Openplotter the system halts after 'Checking 800 x 400 display'. The only positive thing is that the system is not quite dead: one has to close the Starting Openplotter window, then the system is available and OpenCPN can ne started normally. The Faytech display is doing OK.
It is still annoying that the system halts and that the Starting Openplotter window is not finished regularly. 
Solution?

Andries
Maybe we could make 'Checking 800 x 400 display' optional in "Startup" tab.
Yes, I would like that!  At least for me, it creates more problems than it solves.

Andries
Can you please test these comands in a terminal:
sudo rm edid.dat
tvservice -d edid.dat
edidparser edid.dat
tvservice -n

please paste the output of the "edidparser edid.dat" and "tvservice -n" here.

(The quick&dirty solution is delete all lines from the file /home/pi/.config/openplotter/display800x480.py)
(2018-07-12, 09:23 PM)e-sailing Wrote: Can you please test these comands in a terminal:
sudo rm edid.dat
tvservice -d edid.dat
edidparser edid.dat
tvservice -n

please paste the output of the "edidparser edid.dat" and "tvservice -n" here.

(The quick&dirty solution is delete all lines from the file /home/pi/.config/openplotter/display800x480.py)

Thanks. I tried to test these commands, but with the Faytech display the command 

tvservice -d edid.dat

does not give a response. After ctrl-z the edidparser command gives the message that it failed to open the file edid.dat.
I checked these commands with an other hdmi-display (at home) connected to the same Pi. Then the command (tvservice -d edid.dat) is executed and the file can be parsed. So tvservice does work, but with the Faytech display tvservice does not result in an edid.dat file.
I would be grateful for any suggestion. For the moment I will wait with trying the quick and dirty solution (deleting all lines from the 800x400.py script).
Andries
I have the same problem. The edid.dat file is empty and on the tvservice command there is no answer and the terminal hangs. Is there a solution to skip searching for the 800x480 display? The quick and dirty solution does not work because of the already empty file

When I disable the OpenGl driver Openplotter starts up normally without stopping at the display check.
In the end what works for me: disable in raspi-config the GL driver, and enable in OpenCpn-Options-display the OPenGL driver. Then openplotter starts without stopping at the display checking.