This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N2K / SignalK
Hello

I have an Openplotter system with an Actisense NGT-1

I can see that I can configure the data input from this in both Openplotter (under the CAN tab) and also in SignalK using the NMEA2000 data provider (Actisense NGT-1 (canboatjs)

Sorry if I am missing something obvious- but I have read as much documentation as I can find & it does not make sense to me

Is it better to use one method over the other ?
If I use both, do that mean that it is effectively doubling up ?

thank you

Andrew
Use only the CAN tab. Openplotter will set the signal k data provider for you
thank you

Andrew
(2018-07-24, 06:06 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Use only the CAN tab. Openplotter will set the signal k data provider for you

Would it make sense to disable some of the sk admin functions in OP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(2018-08-08, 12:28 PM)tkurki Wrote: Would it make sense to disable some of the sk admin functions in OP?

That is the plan. Delegating as much as possible features to SK and focus on hardware.

The main goals of OP are:

1. An out of the box system with pre-installed and pre-configured packages to allow newbies users and save time to expert users.

2. Make easy connecting all kind of sensors.

We started OP when SK was still in development and we had to write some tools to achieve goals. But as you know well SK development in the last year has been awesome. Now we have duplicate features that we have to replace little by little.

We have already deprecated or modified some OP tools in favor of SK plugins. Probably the next one will be our "SK to N2K converter" tool in favor of SK plugin "Convert Signal K to NMEA2000". It does not make sense having duplicate features and invest effort on it.

What we probably will not do is disabling settings of some packages that allow interaction between them, e.g. settings in gpsd, kplex, SK and opencpn that assure data exchange.

If you want to set an NGT-1 or our alternative CAN-USB stick to receive and send data, you will have to set several packages (udev, SK...) and even run the NGT-1 / CAN-USB stick in windows to allow to sending PGNs. In OP you can do all this in CAN tab. But if we decide to replace our SK-N2K converter by the SK plugin this tab could change or even disappear.
(2018-08-08, 08:01 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2018-08-08, 12:28 PM)tkurki Wrote: Would it make sense to disable some of the sk admin functions in OP?

What we probably will not do is disabling settings of some packages that allow interaction between them, e.g. settings in gpsd, kplex, SK and opencpn that assure data exchange.

Yep. k don’t know if my message came across clearly: I meant that some of sk admin ui might be hidden/read only when sk is running in OP environment if it is already in OP or critical to OP operations

For example removing and editing OP providers could be not available, you could just disable them if you really wanted.

What would be the most valuable changes in this direction?

OpenPlotter could set an environment variable to the SK server, OPENPLOTTER=1 or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk