This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Save the SD card
Hi evreyone,

Usually i am doing a copy of my SD card with Win32 Disk Imager.
It si quite simple :
- i save a .img file
- the when i want a second SD card (in case) or to burn my current SD card beacause a bad power cut for example, i just write the .img file.
It s working very well, but as i have a 16Go SD, it' long to process and i spend space on my server.

So instead of sepnding 16Go (the files of the distrib is only around 1Go) i tried to simply copy the files of my current SD to a second one.
But it's not working, RPI launch a new install of OP from scratch with those files.

What is your process ?
There is no other way. Only the cloning of the disk image keeps an exact copy of the status of the entire system. I know it's slow.... that's why I try to use SD cards that are as fast as possible. They improve the performance of OPlotter in general and are faster to copy.
Why are sailors more daring than other men?
Because: No man is so often afraid
like the sailors.

"Of the questions of the seafaring world", in
The Tree of Science, Ramon Llull
Ok.

I thought of an option to do an image of the SD but i did not have time to test.
I wanted to :
- add a second data partition
- unmount this partition
- then do the image

but it seems, the tools to do an image are doing an exact copy of the SD in this case, it's a stillborn project Smile
if you want a smaller img you can use gparted to shrink the disk volume then make img from win32
i have done it. i have a 32 gig that makes an img of 29gb and have shrunk it to fit 16 gb .
I think the script described at the enclosed link does it in a nice way. You can have different sizes of SD cards, schedule it, don't need a GUI and it doesn't copy "empty" data. Enjoy !  https://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/2017/11/rpi-clone-raspberry-boot-disk.html 

Blog; https://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/
thanks to both of you.

I ll try to test the two solutions.