This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
moitessier hat - AIS reception varies by power source
I am using a Traco TMDC 20-2411. It's a wide input voltage range, industrial switching regulator. During a trip on STS Fryderyk Chopin I used it in series with another regulator - a 230V laptop charger and the reception was still awesome. I have tried a 1/4 wavelength helical VHF antenna and a 1/4 "stripped cable" type improvised antenna, both on a 10 m long cable, even the second got signal from several miles. I will conclude the experiment in a video one day.

You have mentioned UPS HATs in this thread, I am testing powerbank + PIJuice, the GPS reception is neat, did not have possibility to see AIS, so far. I have a video about that setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faPduQ7omaI
(2020-02-17, 10:53 PM)Hungarpol Wrote: I am using a Traco TMDC 20-2411. It's a wide input voltage range, industrial switching regulator. During a trip on STS Fryderyk Chopin I used it in series with another regulator - a 230V laptop charger and the reception was still awesome. I have tried a 1/4 wavelength helical VHF antenna and a 1/4 "stripped cable" type improvised antenna, both on a 10 m long cable, even the second got signal from several miles. I will conclude the experiment in a video one day.

You have mentioned UPS HATs in this thread, I am testing powerbank + PIJuice, the GPS reception is neat, did not have possibility to see AIS, so far. I have a video about that setup:

Nice video, more please! Heart
(2019-01-20, 11:20 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote: ... well nobody used the Pico .... but how about the StromPi3 ? - anyone used/tested the StromPi3 with the accu add-on on top of the Moitessier hat?

although it's an old post I'd like to share my experience with strompi3 and MH (first gen) on Raspberry 3B

Strompi3 supports up to 3 power input sources: via 6-60V wide input, 5V mUSB and an optional 3.4V LiFePO4-battery hat
After initial setup + software quirks I successfully used my setup during the 2019 sailing season. No problems apart from that:

AIS reception is very poor as soon as main power supply is set to wide input (attached to 12V).
Only few ships are recognized within a few miles. When empowering StromPi via either mUSB or battery hat, reception vastly improves:
many more ships are detected and range extends to 10miles, although I am just using a simple flowerpot antenna

As it appears, the DC/DC converter built in the Strompi3 does not meet requirements set by Moitessier Hat's RF components.

Michael
thanks for this valuable info
If I plan to use my VHF antenna for the AIS Receiver on the Mortisier Hat, do I need to add a VHF splitter? Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010F6JK86/ref...VEbVATAJ6J
Hello,
The linked article does not work for your project.
You need one of these.

https://www.ensslin.com/em-trak-210/a-21...7JEALw_wcB

Greetings Jürgen

P.s. I recommend a 2 if possible.

P.s. 2. Please create a new thread for it, because here it is explicitly only about the power supply of the Raspberry.
Angel  Entschuldigung für mein Englisch. Es ist "deepl.com english"
PN bitte auf german.  Big Grin
As a rule, the utilization of the AIS recipient is profoundly vitality serious. Also, the new Rpi have more power and require a more serious vitality source.

Regularly, results of Chinese birthplace are not of adequate quality to satisfy this need, I have seen with my own eyes.

Your issue might be in the 12 volts to 5-volt converter - in all probability - or in the link that sends the current to the Rpi.

Most Chinese connectors transport all things considered 2.1 amps and that is insufficient. You can utilize a second 12vlt to 5-volt connector associated with the GPIO pins, it worked for me, or buy one of the qc 3.0 connectors that generally conveys more force.
(2020-02-17, 10:53 PM)Hungarpol Wrote: I am using a Traco TMDC 20-2411. It's a wide input voltage range, industrial switching regulator. During a trip on STS Fryderyk Chopin I used it in series with another regulator - a 230V laptop charger and the reception was still awesome. I have tried a 1/4 wavelength helical VHF antenna and a 1/4 "stripped cable" type improvised antenna, both on a 10 m long cable, even the second got signal from several miles. I will conclude the experiment in a video one day.

As a rule, the utilization of the AIS recipient is profoundly vitality serious. Also, the new Rpi have more power and require a more serious vitality source. 

Regularly, results of Chinese birthplace are not of adequate quality to satisfy this need, I have seen with my own eyes. 

Your issue might be in the 12 volts to 5-volt converter - in all probability - or in the link that sends the current to the Rpi. 

Most Chinese connectors transport all things considered 2.1 amps and that is insufficient. You can utilize a second 12vlt to 5-volt connector associated with the GPIO pins, it worked for me, or buy one of the qc 3.0 connectors that generally conveys more force.
New kernel version 5.10.60 - please update driver!