This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions for waterproof motors for steering wheel
Good day,

Let me first say I'm really interested in this project and would like to help in any way I can. I'm a software developer and live on my sailing boat in the Netherlands. I'm getting ready to go sail around the world (on a small budget) and that's how I found out about this project.

I would like to order the Tinypilot computer and controller and test it out on my boat, but I'm not really sure what kind of motor I need to get with this. I have a steering wheel with an old AutoHelm wheel still attached where I can attach a belt to a motor. The motor needs to be waterproof and I would like to have as much power as possible with the current motor controller. My boat is a 37 foot Formosa.

Any suggestions what kind of motor to get (type, specification)? 
Maybe even some links to Amazon would be greatly appreciated?

I really like to test this setup out and start tweaking the software and hardware and hopefully help to improve the system. 
Hope someone got some suggestions to get me started with a motor.

Kind reagards,
Justin.

P.S.
To read all about my adventures and the restoration work on my sailboat, see:
https://theseadog.life
I would suggest a windshield wiper motor from a car or truck. These can be obtained at junkyard for free or cheap, or are cheap enough to buy new.

If you load it down too much it won't be efficient. Usually about a 6:1 belt reduction to the wheel using toothed belts, but it depends on how hard it is to turn the wheel. The correct ratio will give the best efficiency.

The wiper motor is a good starting point, cheap and efficient, and should be useful most of the time, but I don't guarentee it is strong enough in rough weather and high winds, depending on the waves in a 37 ft boat. You could possibly use two motors, hydraulic motors (expensive) or even consider building a mechanical wind vane for a circumnavigation.
I’m assuming the Autohelm is a 3000 wheel pilot? Why not just use that motor if it works?