This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moitessier HAT - HELP! Did not work :(
Question 
Hi everyone!

I am new here. That is why I will introduce myself to the beginning: I am Mateusz, I live in Poland. I heard about the OpenPlotter project some time ago. However, only now I managed to implement it on my own.

I do not have my own sail yacht, so I wanted it to be closed in one housing. To make the device more handy, but with the possibility to be permanently installed on the boat.

The whole is based on Raspberry Pi 3 model B + and Moitessier HAT. The attached drawing shows the general idea of the device.

I have a problem with Moitessier HAT. It looks like it works normally, but when I try to get a GPS position I can not do it. As if OpenCPN did not communicate with Moitessier HAT at all. The LED status light indicating GPS status is always on.

In addition, IMU sensors do not always work. Sometimes, during calibration, they show the movements of the yacht, the compass shows the direction. Otherwise, it looks like it would not send information to OpenPlotter.

I have not checked AIS yet

I installed everything in accordance with the instructions from the documentation contained on the website. I tried to search for something here on the forum but I found nothing.

I reinstalled the entire OpenPlotter software and reinstalled the Moitessier HAT driver. I remembered about updates ...

I also disconnected the entire USB hub to see if this causes interference in Moitessier HAT.

Can anyone tell me what else I can do to force Moitessier HAT to cooperate? Is it possible that my Moitessier HAT was damaged somewhere on the way to mine? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Please help.

Mateusz

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello Mateusz,

have you installed the proper moitessier package from the tool section? Have you chosen the correct version for your kernel?

Check if communication works and enter the following command in a terminal: cat /dev/moitessier.spi
Do you receive any data?

Does your HAT have clear view to sky? GNSS might not work if you are in a building.

Regards,
Thomas
I'm having the same issue. The unit was working yesterday but today I don't get pitch, roll, temperature or GPS. I tried the command provided by Thomas and I do get a flow of data but nothing is shown by the dashboard or in CPN. I went through all the configuration screens but don't see anything that can be changed. The IMU is identified correctly.

When I first installed the hat, I had a Moitessier menu item on the desktop. I don't see that anymore, which seem strange.
(2018-09-01, 07:22 PM)Rooco Wrote: Hello Mateusz,

have you installed the proper moitessier package from the tool section? Have you chosen the correct version for your kernel?

Check if communication works and enter the following command in a terminal: cat /dev/moitessier.spi
Do you receive any data?

Does your HAT have clear view to sky? GNSS might not work if you are in a building.

Regards,
Thomas
cat /dev/moitessier.spi - no reply system seems to hang.

hat infor shows:
opening device /dev/moitessier.ctrl
size - 172
mode - A
hardware ID - P770010
hardware version - E04
boot version - 
app version - 1.2.1
functionality - 0xffffffff
system errors - 0x00000000
serial - 20383439434e431900230007
receiver 1
channel frequency 1 [Hz]: 161975000
channel frequency 2 [Hz]: 162025000
tcxo frequency [Hz]: 13000000
meta data mask: 0x00
afc range [Hz]: 1000
default afc range [Hz]: 1000
rng: 0x08 0x08
receiver 2
channel frequency 1 [Hz]: 161975000
channel frequency 2 [Hz]: 162025000
tcxo frequency [Hz]: 13000000
meta data mask: 0x00
afc range [Hz]: 1000
default afc range [Hz]: 1000
rng: 0x08 0x08
simulator
enabled: 0
interval: 1000
mmsi: 807977831 807977832
misc
write protection ID EEPROM: 1

and statistic tab:
opening device /dev/moitessier.ctrl
size - 64
spiCycles - 399
totalRxPayloadBytes - 12768
fifoOverflows - 0
fifoBytesProcessed - 0
payloadCrcErrors - 0
headerCrcErrors - 0
keepAliveErrors - 191

MS5607-02BA03 shows -577.09 mbar, -255.87 °C
MPU-9250 shows 44.05 °C

Kernel version 4.19. 57

Could all these problems be as GNSS service is sometimes disrupted ?
Hi all and Thomas,

I too have OpenCPN not showing a green dot for GPS. I’m getting my OpenPlotter rpi 3+ and HAT set up for the first time. I’ve just upgraded OpenPlotter to 1.2 and Opencpn via OpenPlotter. Following instructions above I input cat /dev/moitessier.spi and there is a flow of data. I’d be grateful for guidance troubleshooting this.

Many thanks!
I did some further testing/trying but not with success.
I notice that the 2 green lights on the moihat start bright - as normal - then left one starts flashing - indicating gps fix but then get dark.
Also in statistics I get keepAliveError2 value is increasing.

Have then started moihat again but this seems to restart only the sensors not the gps/gnss.

I am running out of ideas and wonder if the moihat is defect.
do you guys have, use an external gps antenna ?
(2019-07-28, 09:14 PM)jim321 Wrote: do you guys have, use an external gps antenna ?

no external GPS antenna as system has free view of sky. Have an old raspi2 with cheap usb-gps next to the raspi3b+ and no problem with gps reception.  

Anyhow if no reception would be the trouble, then the green light should remain solid.
are you using 4.19.42 /4.19.57
https://www.rooco.eu/2018/06/13/firmware...ssier-hat/

"moitessier_4.19.42 Special installation instruction: Install – Reboot – Install again"
Still not having any luck.  

Can anyone comment on the Moitssier Hat configuration option disappearing from the Open Plotter menu?

I get two solid green lights on the hat and no data into CPN.