This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moitessier HAT - HELP! Did not work :(
(2019-07-31, 05:51 PM)StoneCrab Wrote: Still not having any luck.  

Can anyone comment on the Moitssier Hat configuration option disappearing from the Open Plotter menu?

I get two solid green lights on the hat and no data into CPN.

when you have 2 solid lights you get no fix - try a clear location or an external antenna.
Thanks SkipperEarly, I think it goes beyond just a fix in that I also do not receive any of the data from the MEMS onboard the Hat. I should be able to see magnetic heading, 3D position information like heel as well as environmental data like temp and barometric pressure even without a fix.

Most perplexing is the disappearance of the setup menu option for the hat. It was there initially. Once I set it up, the hat configuration appears in OpenPlotter, but the ability to upgrade or change settings is not available without the menu option. There may be a sudo command to do this from the command line but I haven't found it.

With a first time setup, you never know what to expect, but a disappearing menu item strikes me as odd. I don't know how to troubleshoot the missing environmental datastream other than to reinstall the drivers for the hat. For that, I'll need the configuration menu item back. I'm stuck.
i don't know how the menu for the moitessier could have disappeared you might need to reinstall.
if your using both hats at the same time you may have them both trying to use some of the same pins.
there is recommended hardware that is tested and works. if you use something else there is no telling what strange behavior you will see
i have never seen anyone here use the MEMS hat, is it even compatible with op ?
(2019-08-04, 05:06 PM)jim321 Wrote: i don't know how the menu for the moitessier could have disappeared you might need to reinstall.
if your using both hats at the same time you may have them both trying to use some of the same pins.
there is recommended hardware that is tested and works. if you use something else there is no telling what strange behavior you will see
i have never seen anyone here use the MEMS hat, is it even compatible with op ?

I am using the Moitessier hat which was purchased last month.  The Mhat contains the MEMS chip that I was referring to.  According to the documentation, it provides all the gyro and magnetometer data to OpenPlotter, so when you are in OpenCPN you see the boat heel, and direction on the chart and temp, pressure etc in the dashboard.  This was working on the first day that I set it up and not since then.

One reason that I didn't want to just reload everything is that this install pretty much requires an ethernet internet connection, which I don't normally have.  Libraries aren't keen on people wiring to the wall and the WiFi requires an authentication screen to sign in.  For whatever reason, the Pi doesn't generate this login popup when connecting to the SSID.  It will show that it is connected but without internet since it didn't pass the authentication process.  I'm still trying to understand why the popups are blocked.  

As an example, xfinity modems have a public side and the customer private side.  If you are an xfinity customer, you can log into the system and enjoy wifi from the public side hotspots pretty much wherever they have customers.  Pretty awesome coverage, but you do need to log in once to register the mac address of your device on the network.  This doesn't happen on the Pi.  

I've could use my phone as a hotspot but it would bust my data plan.  

Just last week I turned my laptop into a hotspot after connecting to the internet.  Windows 10 allows this configuration but it seems to make a difference what WiFi adapter you use.  Some chipsets don't seem to support the access point software.  I bought two WiFi adapters with the RealTek chipset recommended on the OpenPlotter site.  With one of these adapters on my laptop I can tap into the laptops internet connection from the Pi over WiFi.  Here's the one I bought:  BLUECELL 300Mbps Realtek Rtl8192Cu Chipset 2T2R Mini Wifi Usb Adapter

Well I'll forge on and perhaps the other forum users will benefit if I get this figured out.  This looks to be a great system.  I'm hoping I can get it fully up.   Main sticking point right now is the Hat configuration  / communication problem.
(2019-07-28, 07:35 PM)SkipperEarly Wrote: I did some further testing/trying but not with success.
I notice that the 2 green lights on the moihat start bright - as normal - then left one starts flashing - indicating gps fix but then get dark.
Also in statistics I get keepAliveError2 value is increasing.

Have then started moihat again but this seems to restart only the sensors not the gps/gnss.

I am running out of ideas and wonder if the moihat is defect.

had great help from Rooco to narrow down on this - hw is ok that is now confirmed

For the benefit of others I wish to share some findings:
On more testing I discovered a particularity caused by Node-red
- when I load my nodered on startup - and only then - the 2 green leds stop working and the keepAliveErrors start clocking up. This leads me to suspect that my node red is the culprit

As I am not doing anything special in with nodered yet (my flows are attached) I wonder if some nodes collide with moit..hat GPIO setting.

Attached Files
.txt   My_Node-red rpi_control.txt (Size: 25.9 KB / Downloads: 169)