This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Networking on Openplotter 1.1.0
Hi,

I am new to the forum and to openplotter and I have been having problems with the networking, it may just be my misunderstanding. I will briefly describe what I have and what I am trying to do:

1. I am using a RPi 3B and have just updated to Openplotter 1.1.0.

2. I currently use iSailor in the wheelhouse on my Coaster 33 with AIS and NMEA data  from the legacy equipment over WIFI using a digital yacht iAIS. iSailor now allows autopilot output but the iAIS just broadcasts AIS data and any NMEA input electrically. It does receive data over WIFI, route or act as a client, so I can not route these messages back to my legacy autopilot. After looking at lots of options to facilitate this I came across Openplotter and like it a lot. It will give me something to build on but initially I want to...

Use the RPi 3B to act as client to the iAIS to receive AIS and legacy NMEA, rebroadcast this to the iPad running iSailor, receive Autopilot sentences from iSailor then output these to the ST6000 using an NMEA input. From my reading, this is doable but I have been unable to set up the RPi as AP+Client. Later I want to integrate WIFI but did not look too hard at that yet.

I have read the documentation, when I configure as AP+Client I can access Openplotter on clients but can not connect the RPi to anything else, the share internet channel wlan0 does not show up in the wifi bar. I just get 2 lines in/out. However when I set up as AP/Client I can connect to my local internet AP and if I log in via Openplotter can see both internet and access openplotter as a client.

My question is the latter the right way to go and if not how can I get the RPi in AP+Client mode to access a client.

Sorry about the length but thought it would be wise to describe exactly what I want to do.
Can someone explain to me the difference between AP + Client and AP/Client in the Network setting, and how I can connect to a client when in AP + Client mode as I have tried and it does not seem possible.

Thanks,
on pi3 ap/client uses the onboard wifi for both... ap+client uses a usb wifi dongle as client.. the onboard has little range so a usb comes in handy when you need to connect to a hotspot

my long range setup
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8a0k1mmusy5sw...1.jpg?dl=0
(2018-09-14, 07:49 PM)jim321 Wrote: on pi3 ap/client uses the onboard wifi for both... ap+client uses a usb wifi dongle as client.. the onboard has little range so a usb comes in handy when you need to connect to a hotspot

my long range setup
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8a0k1mmusy5sw...1.jpg?dl=0

Hey Jim,

many thanks, that explains everything!

My onboard wifi is a portable tplink 4G hotspot, which works brilliantly.  So no problems on range.
As I understand it you trying to 
- connect iSailor to the NMEA0183 feed of OpenPlotter over tcp (or udp?)
- have NMEA0183 autopilot control sentences produced by iSailor routed to your autopilot's NMEA0183 input via OpenPlotter

Is this correct?

It sounds like you are trying to connect iPad to your OpenPlotter AP and OpenPlotter to your iPad Wifi AP.
No need to to do   - just being in the same wifi will be enough for the devices to talk to each other over the network. I would just use the wifi network established by OpenPlotter.

How is the iSailor Autopilot connection configured? I have iSailor but not the NMEA Autopilot option.

I would hazard a guess that it takes a hostname/ip adress and a port number for a tcp connection.

How is your autopilot connected to your boat's network / OpenPlotter?
(2018-09-15, 03:15 PM)tkurki Wrote: As I understand it you trying to 
- connect iSailor to the NMEA0183 feed of OpenPlotter over tcp (or udp?)
- have NMEA0183 autopilot control sentences produced by iSailor routed to your autopilot's NMEA0183 input via OpenPlotter

Is this correct?

It sounds like you are trying to connect iPad to your OpenPlotter AP and OpenPlotter to your iPad Wifi AP.
No need to to do   - just being in the same wifi will be enough for the devices to talk to each other over the network. I would just use the wifi network established by OpenPlotter.

How is the iSailor Autopilot connection configured? I have iSailor but not the NMEA Autopilot option.

I would hazard a guess that it takes a hostname/ip adress and a port number for a tcp connection.

How is your autopilot connected to your boat's network / OpenPlotter?

Yes that is correct but the water in the fuel is that I get AIS from a device that insists on being an AP... Digital Yacht iAIS. Also it does not listen and route, just serves AIS and the NMEA I feed it from my Raymarine legacy stuff.

I think I can connect the RPi to iAIS and talk between iPad and RPi but then no internet. Alternatives are to use USB from iAIS and connect RP to my mobile hotspot, or get a wifi dongle. However, I wanted the RPi in the saloon as I have a TV monitor there and the iAIS is in the wheelhouse. Didn’t decide which yet.

For info, iSailor gets all its data now over a tcp link from iAIS, which multiplexes NMEA in with the AIS data. Output would be over the same link but iAIS can’t do anything with it. Hence openplotter which will do the routing. I plan iSailor to openplotter via wifi and the output autopilot stuff over a USB/RS422 link to the autopilot.