This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Networking on Openplotter 1.1.0
(2018-09-15, 03:15 PM)tkurki Wrote: As I understand it you trying to 
- connect iSailor to the NMEA0183 feed of OpenPlotter over tcp (or udp?)
- have NMEA0183 autopilot control sentences produced by iSailor routed to your autopilot's NMEA0183 input via OpenPlotter

Is this correct?

It sounds like you are trying to connect iPad to your OpenPlotter AP and OpenPlotter to your iPad Wifi AP.
No need to to do   - just being in the same wifi will be enough for the devices to talk to each other over the network. I would just use the wifi network established by OpenPlotter.

How is the iSailor Autopilot connection configured? I have iSailor but not the NMEA Autopilot option.

I would hazard a guess that it takes a hostname/ip adress and a port number for a tcp connection.

How is your autopilot connected to your boat's network / OpenPlotter?

Yes that is correct but the water in the fuel is that I get AIS from a device that insists on being an AP... Digital Yacht iAIS. Also it does not listen and route, just serves AIS and the NMEA I feed it from my Raymarine legacy stuff.

I think I can connect the RPi to iAIS and talk between iPad and RPi but then no internet. Alternatives are to use USB from iAIS and connect RP to my mobile hotspot, or get a wifi dongle. However, I wanted the RPi in the saloon as I have a TV monitor there and the iAIS is in the wheelhouse. Didn’t decide which yet.

For info, iSailor gets all its data now over a tcp link from iAIS, which multiplexes NMEA in with the AIS data. Output would be over the same link but iAIS can’t do anything with it. Hence openplotter which will do the routing. I plan iSailor to openplotter via wifi and the output autopilot stuff over a USB/RS422 link to the autopilot.

Messages In This Thread
Networking on Openplotter 1.1.0 - by Newt2u - 2018-09-13, 07:01 PM
RE: Networking on Openplotter 1.1.0 - by Newt2u - 2018-09-14, 07:29 PM
RE: Networking on Openplotter 1.1.0 - by jim321 - 2018-09-14, 07:49 PM
RE: Networking on Openplotter 1.1.0 - by Newt2u - 2018-09-15, 11:31 AM
RE: Networking on Openplotter 1.1.0 - by tkurki - 2018-09-15, 03:15 PM
RE: Networking on Openplotter 1.1.0 - by Newt2u - 2018-09-15, 06:57 PM