This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
openplotter with nasa ais 3
Hi

I have installed open plotter and I am using a NASA ais 3, but I cannot seem to get open plotter to see the NASA ais device, 

at first it just found the ttyUSB0 so i pressed the uart option and then it found the second device

any ideas where I am going wrong, I have tried attaching a snapshot but it keeps failing

Thanks very much
You have connect your NASA ais to a NMEA0183(RS422) to usb converter.
On the Serial page click on the ttyUSBx device.
Give it a name (ais for example)
select assignment kplex
set bauds 38400
click apply
On the kplex page select the name you entered before (ais)
click diagnostic (now you should see data)

Provided that the AIS receives data (blinking diode) and the NMEA0183 wiring is correct
thanks! i had it set to NMEA 0183 out and I was getting the occasional flash and info on the debug pain of opencpn

I have changed it to kplex but nothing has appeared in diagnostics yet, should anything else be set

I am using a USB to RS232 DB9 9 pin cable?
What are your NMEA connections? If you have rx+/rx- and tx+/tx- you have a RS422 bases electrical connection. Although you can connect the two it may be unreliable.

See this for more info

https://www.actisense.com/wp-content/upl...-4-1-1.pdf
In the manual online it shows this

Electronic Interface
Power input: +10Volts to + 16Volts.
RS232 interfaces:
data format: 8 bits, 1 start bit, no parity, 1 stop bit.
Connector: 9-pin D-type socket mounted on the board.
pin 2: 38,400 Baud output from Engine to PC = black to
plotter NMEA input
pin 3: 38,400 Baud input to Engine from PC = red
pin 5: common (ground).= screen to plotter NMEA minus or
REF
pin 9: 4800 Baud NMEA input from GPS receiver to Engine
Amplitudes: standard PC RS232 (0 to 5V)

Does this look like the standard rs232 to usb cable will suffice

What setting should I assign it to or is nmea okay?
Yes, it seems the NASA engine has a 9 pin RS232 interface, so electrically there should not be a problem. I know little about OP so can’t help you further.
You have to set your device only in serial tab. Do not change opencpn or kplex defaults. when you define the serial input in serial tab OP will do this job for you. Are you connecting by GPIO pins or USB? If you are using GPIO be sure you do not provide more than 3.3V.
(2018-09-16, 10:56 AM)Sailoog Wrote: You have to set your device only in serial tab. Do not change opencpn or kplex defaults. when you define the serial input in serial tab OP will do this job for you. Are you connecting by GPIO pins or USB? If you are using GPIO be sure you do not provide more than 3.3V.

Thanks for the reply!

I am just using a rs232 to usb cable and a separate 12v 2a power supply

under serial I give it a name and under assignment I changed it to nmea 0183 out with a baud rate of 38400, does that sound right?

Thanks very much
NMEA 0183 out is to send datafrom openplotter to your device, if you want to get data from your device you have to set kplex or GPSD under assignment.
(2018-09-16, 05:20 PM)Sailoog Wrote: NMEA 0183 out is to send datafrom openplotter to your device, if you want to get data from your device you have to set kplex or GPSD under assignment.

Thanks very much is there much difference between kplex and gpsd?