This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vexilar Sonar
Hi 

I have a vexilar SP200 Sonar unit installed on my boat (£146) and its very good,  its communicates by WiFi to an its own android App or Navionics app on phone/pad etc. It would be very useful if openplotter could pick up the NMEA messages and output them on the NMEA 2000 network. 

There has been some work done on this by Michael P. Scherer  at https://github.com/scherererer/SonarPhony.  Is this something that could be added ?

Cheers

Keith
I've been interested in this device as well. I dream that we could court Vexillar into making something that was a good citizen on a network using standard protocols. Not just depth info over nmea but imagery as well. Let their be unlimited developers writing client software for their unit and it would seem they might reach more people.
I’m not sure there are standard protocols for this kind of data. Essentially it has s a 1D radar that must communicate strength of return;distance couples. I have one as well a great little device.