This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Openplotter hardware (GPS receiver)
Anybody knows about possibility of using GPS USB receiver as GPS receiver?
It should be okay, as long as you give it enough power. You may have to plug it into a powered USB hub. That's what I do with this one.

I'm just about to change over to this. It requires external 5v supply and an RS-232 converter, but it can be mounted on a stern rail and should give better sensitivity. I chose the RS232 version because I ultimately want to run it through an RS485 converter and directly output NMEA strings.
tested a few all have worked out of the box strait into the pi no power problems at all
Thanks for all. I want to buy it for using in openplotter.
The one in your post works out of the box in my set-up.
I used one of these gps usb on board for a 4 weeks summer cruise, without any inconvenient. On my (aluminium) boat is a big plexiglas "buble" (1 sqm) under which it is located. It is connected through a powered usb hub, and it worked flawlessly without even powering the hub !
I guess in a fiberglass boat you can locate it under the deck, far from any metallic gear, avoiding any corrosion or water inlet.
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you