This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make Raspberry Pi GPS HAT Work in OpenPlotter
Hi All,

I bought this GPS HAT, when I connect the antenna, the Green LED is blinking, indicating that there is a GPS connection.
But I do not get any data from /dev/ttyAMA0, how can I make it to work on OpenPlotter?

I followed the tutorial here.

I am running Openplotter 0.8 on a RPI 3
When you do a "cat /dev/ttyAMA0" you get no data?

How long did you leave it on? There is a good possibility that it won't generate any data until it has a full position lock. That can often take quite a while even with a clear view of the sky. Indoors, this can take much longer.

Richard
the manual says it has a lock when the green led is blinking, it does that almost immediately.

It was turned on for 30 minutes or so, but no data was coming through.

When I connect the antenna I use to my old Garmin 128 GPS, it has GPS lock almost immediately.
(2016-07-19, 08:05 PM)Ewald Harmsen Wrote: the manual says it has a lock when the green led is blinking, it does that almost immediately.

When I connect the antenna I use to my old Garmin 128 GPS, it has GPS lock almost immediately.
Do you get anything when you run the following command?

cat /dev/ttyAMA0
(2016-07-19, 11:03 PM)Vamonos Wrote:
(2016-07-19, 08:05 PM)Ewald Harmsen Wrote: the manual says it has a lock when the green led is blinking, it does that almost immediately.

Do you get anything when you run the following command?

cat /dev/ttyAMA0

No, it just says there without output, untill I killl it
Found the solution thanks to Google and other people, you have to enable a dummy serial port:

Enable extra serial port:
Sudo nano /boot/config.txt
add the following to the bottom: enable_uart=1
save and exit
The port is now available as ttyS0 or as serial0

Disable the console output for that port:
sudo systemctl stop serial-getty@ttyS0.service
sudo systemctl disable serial-getty@ttyS0.service
sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
Remove the line: console=serial0,115200

Reboot
Add ttyS0 to openplotter as incoming serial port

(2016-07-24, 07:46 AM)Ewald Harmsen Wrote: Found the solution thanks to Google and other people, you have to enable a dummy serial port:

Enable extra serial port:
Sudo nano /boot/config.txt
add the following to the bottom: enable_uart=1
save and exit
The port is now available as ttyS0 or as serial0

Disable the console output for that port:
sudo systemctl stop serial-getty@ttyS0.service
sudo systemctl disable serial-getty@ttyS0.service
sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
Remove the line: console=serial0,115200

Reboot
Add ttyS0 to openplotter as incoming serial port

Is maybe a good idea to include this fix in a new release of open plotter.
serial0 is a reference to ttyAMA0 on RPI2 and to ttyS0 on RPI3
I have a GPS shield on a RPi 3. I have it set up to get a fix, and I can cat data from either /dev/ttyAMA0 or /dev/serial0. I am running openplotter 0.10.0alpha.

I cannot get openplotter to see either of the ports and I cannot see any way to add it manually.

Also, and I don't know whether this is just because it is not getting any GPS data, but I cannot get to the chart plotter. All I get when I launch is the screen with the tabs on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nevermind.

I guess I had the baud rate wrong or something. Working now.