This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NASA/Clipper displays
I've been using the NASA/Clipper displays for about a year now.  Just wanted say that they work great and are very visible in all light and at all angles.  I use the tactical wind display and data repeaters for SOG/STW.  Unfortunately they have yet to produce an nmea depth repeater (although have promised em they will).  They are all 0183 so I parallel my sensor output between a display and the pi so I still have display even if the pi/openplotter were to fail.  I don't work for the company or sell their products, just offering an opinion.  I recently bought a Garmin data a display to function as my depth display and I have to say the NASA/Clipper displays are larger, clearer and easier to read.  And they can be found for around $110 each new.  My advice with these and any displays is to not try and pipe all your data to each display.  There's a fair amount of overhead in parsing through 0183 sentences and these displays were likely not engineered for a ton of computing.
Thumbs Up 
Great tips - I wasn't aware that they took plain NMEA0183 as input.  :-)
Regards, 
Arne :-)    
S/Y Tiarora
I'm in the market but have heard that NASA wind sensors are pretty weak.
The displays are a lot cheaper but I don't like unnecessary trips up the mast.
Can they be configured to work with Garmin sensors?
(2019-01-01, 03:57 AM)nramsey Wrote: Can they be configured to work with Garmin sensors?

If your Garmin sensors output NMEA 0183 - but my guess is they don't? If your sensor of choice can interface with OpenPlotter you can use NASA displays anyhow.

My ultrasonic sensor is connected to OpenPlotter and displays through OpenCPN or whatever NMEA/SignalK-tools on my IOS-devices.
Regards, 
Arne :-)    
S/Y Tiarora
(2019-01-01, 03:57 AM)nramsey Wrote: I'm in the market but have heard that NASA wind sensors are pretty weak.

I don't have any experience with NASA/Clipper sensors.  My wind sensor is a LCJ Capteurs CV7 (ultrasonic) that sends out 0183 so works with the displays just fine.  My sounder/speed sensor is a generic airmar smart sensor that is 0183 as well.  I believe that Garmin is all 2000 now. So you could use the Sailoog USB-CAN device to get data to your pi, then send 0183 to the displays, or an actisense unit to do it directly (you'll still be saving money). For racing I display data on an ipad mounted to the mast, I use the displays as a backup when the ipad battery runs out, or in the event the pi goes down.  If you are looking for a low maintenance wind sensor, you should consider the ultrasonic units.
(2019-01-01, 03:57 AM)nramsey Wrote: I'm in the market but have heard that NASA wind sensors are pretty weak.

I've had that wind sensor up the mast now for 3 years, it's not failed on me yet.
I've been looking at the NASA site, and I'm still confused about what instrument they sell for people who already have wind data as NMEA. In some cases I see it listed just as "instrument" and in others I see it listed as a "repeater". Do you understand it?