This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Send all signalK event to UDP Port (for using navionics on ipad)
(2019-01-20, 09:49 AM)tkurki Wrote: I went ahead and wrote a plugin for this. @signalk/udp-nmea-plugin should be downloadable shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(2021-08-17, 05:57 AM)tkurki Wrote: The plugin handles only nmea 0183 data.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish - what would be receiving the n2k data and what format does it expect? Unlike 0183 there is no single common format for transmitting n2k data over other media than canbus.

Are you saying the "Signal K to NMEA 2000" is only for "translating" NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000?

I'm looking for apps (ie SEAiq) access NMEA2000 data from the network on a specific port. I can see how SK already does that on port 10110 for NMEA0183, but can't figure out how to do the exact same with NMEA2000.

Specifically, I have an AIS unit that is plugged into NMEA 2000 network, and I would like to see AIS targets in SEAiq.

The way I understand it, even though SEAiq is on a mobile device connected to the local network (as is OP/SK), it would act as a consumer of AIS data/sentences, as if it was connected via canbus. Except the port access / wifi connection would replace the physical wired connection.
I don’t think SEAiq supports NMEA2000 data. At least I can not find anything about that in their manual. If it does you need to find out what format it expects the data to be in, as there are multiple vendor specific formats for n2k data. The message content is the same, but it can be in different formats, like hexadecimal string or base64 encoded, with different delimiters and field separators.

See for example
RAW protocol, appendix E https://www.yachtd.com/downloads/ydwg02.pdf
https://github.com/digitalyacht/iKonvert...n-sentence

Mobile apps usually support only NMEA0183. You can achieve what you are after by activating the relevant sk to nmea0183 conversions.
Per their documentation at http://doc.seaiq.com/NMEA_WiFiHelp.html only NMEA 2000 is supported. Does that info help in terms of configuration of SK to output the data?
That page is about nmea 0183.
OK, curious - from the app instructions it appeared to me it was all NMEA 2000. How can you tell by looking at that page that it's about NMEA 0183? I'm learning about all of this fast, but that part isn't self-evident to me (yet).

Then either OpenCPN or SeaIQ should be displaying AIS targets based on NMEA 0183? What is the process / setup to get it from my NMEA 2000 AIS device into SK and then converted to NMEA 0183? Not seeing any AIS-specific NMEA 0183 sentences in the signalk-to-nmea0183 plugin; for that matter, I'm not seeing any NMEA 2000 AIS sentences being logged within SK.

Appreciate your help and patience as I learn.
Figured out I needed the signalk-n2kais-to-nmea0183 plugin, and it works!

Should I now also use udp-nmea-plugin originally referenced here? If I understand correctly, with TCP connections only 1 device at a time can connect, while UDP can serve multiple devices?
Was just getting back to saying that you want signalk-n2kais-to-nmea0183, contrary to what I wrote earlier. AIS is a special case here, makes sense to convert directly.

Either UDP or TCP will do. The limit of one device is related to some TCP servers, not inherent to using TCP, and SK server does not have this limitation.

UDP with broadcast address has the advantage of not needing to configure the server's IP address in the app and it works even if the server's ip address changes for one reason or another. With UDP some messages may be missed by the app, as it provides no delivery guarantees like TCP.
Great information, thank you! So far, all is working well and I'm learning and experimenting more - sure I'll have more questions soon.