This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Default routes in AP+Client network modes
I've been fiddling with network modes here in the marina for the past couple of days. Like many marinas, it has WiFi that is keyed to a specific hardware address, so my normal process is to use my OpenPlotter system as a hotspot for the boat. In this case, I chose RPI3+ AP + Client.

I'm finding that just connecting the client wireless node to the marina gives two default routes - one via 10.10.10.1 (wlan1) and the other via the marina system, in this case 10.10.1.1.

If I just do the connection, routing doesn't happen. DNS lookups fail and even pings to straight IP addresses, like 8.8.8.8, don't work. I find what I need to do is open a terminal session and type "sudo route del default wlan1" to drop the internal default route and force traffic via the marina system.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is it possible that as a normal process the default route via 10.10.10.1 should be dropped when a connection is made to an external AP?
Hi !!!

I don't know if I have the same problem but it's kind related... I tried your "sudo route del default wlan1" it kind mess me even more but I suppose it's part of the game.

I don't understand what's happening the AP openplotter on wlan1, my Wifi antenna  seems to be connected to Starbucks...

1)output of iwconfig
for wlan0 and wlan1
wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"[STARBUCKS]"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: E2:55:7D:62:55:50   
          Bit Rate=52 Mb/s   Tx-Power=30 dBm   
          Retry short  long limit:2   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=70/70  Signal level=-37 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:14  Invalid misc:14   Missed beacon:0

wlan1     IEEE 802.11  Mode:Master  Tx-Power=31 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on

2)my route used to be before I delete the default wlan1

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         10.10.10.1      0.0.0.0         UG    303    0        0 wlan1
default         10.128.128.128  0.0.0.0         UG    304    0        0 wlan0
10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     304    0        0 wlan0
10.10.10.0      0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     303    0        0 wlan1

By the way, try ping -I wlan0 8.8.8.8 to see if it works... mine does but I don't know how to redirect my internet through wlan0, I think it's depend on that route program as well as a DNS (ping -I wlan0 www.google.com doesn't work) but I don't know and understand much about it. wish I could help you more
Hi have probably the same problem but sudo route del default wlan1 screwed me even more !!!

Instead of ping 8.8.8.8 try ping -I 8.8.8.8 to see if you have the same as me. by the way ping -I wlan0 www.google.com doesn't work. Hope a genius in networking could help us.
hi I just realized I wasn't choosing the right layout for my configuration ... I was choosing RPI3 access point + client and it was RPI 3+ AP + client so you might check for yourself...
Thanks. I've tried this in several configurations, including RPI3: AP/Client (it uses the onboard wifi for both), and RPI3: AP+Client (which is intended for an external USB wifi adapter). I get the same default routes, which causes my normal routing via Internet to not work. BTW, I get internet access via my phone's hotspot. I tried using USB tethering but apparently my Mexican Telcel plan doesn't allow it (I know, weird, right?).

Anyway, everything works fine if I eliminate default routing via 10.10.10.1 - wlan1.

I guess I could modify the IF-UP script so that the wlan1 default route goes away when wlan0 is connected.
out of the subject probably but I'm in mexico with a mexican telcel sim card (on the baha california), I don't have this kind of problem, what's yours ???
Fair Wind,Take care..
(2019-03-01, 03:41 PM)abarrow Wrote: Anyway, everything works fine if I eliminate default routing via 10.10.10.1 - wlan1.

You can change
static routers=10.10.10.1
#static routers=10.10.10.1
in dhcpcd.conf
bestway you edit it in /home/pi/.config/openplotter/Network/[your confi]/dhcpcd.conf (then use Network tab "set" and "apply")
Thanks.