This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenPlotter v2.x.x is coming!!
(2019-03-23, 11:44 PM)JeroenAdam Wrote: Would the script be able to build OpenPlotter on a x86 Debian/Linux? I'm asking this because there seems to be no ARM solution for my ASUS 15.6" USB-powered Displaylink monitor which I'm happily using on my Intel NUC.
Some interesting hardware options would be available to us: x86 Raspberry alternatives with similar credit-card form factor but lots of more power, eg the x86 UpBoard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPJiShBIPw8

I am afraid I have not been clear about this. This superscript will not generate openplotter images that can be installed on non raspberry machines. You can run this script in any Debian system but you will always get a modified raspbian image only for raspberry machines.

pros:

- People can customize their openplotter installations
- really small img and noobs files
- If you customize your installation you will back to your defaults when recovery systems in noobs installations
(2019-03-24, 10:26 AM)dione Wrote: How many changes, how good!
Grafana and influxdb, I was trying to use it in the current version, with mqtt gives many possibilities.

For him to use the webcam what software have you thought about? Motion?

We will wait anxiously.

Saludos

we use fswebcam because is simple and can be controlled by node-red
(2019-03-25, 09:02 AM)Bill_ Maxwell Wrote:
(2019-03-23, 03:44 PM)Opie91 Wrote: That sounds great. Looking forward to the improvements!

Are the plans to use Telegram to take over for SMS?

Thank you to the dev team for all their hard work!

At this time I am not sure that I fully understand the significance of removing SMS support. In my application I would like to be able to receive SMS of signicant data changes, such as bilge levels, from OP while the boat is swinging on its mooring and I'm 1hour 30 minutes away at home.

I see that OpenCPN version 5 was released on 23 March, so that should bring OpenPlotter 2.0 one step closer too Wink .

We have realized that we had too much in the plate. We need simplify OP to be able to maintain all features and our resources are limited. From your feedback we know that very few people was using SMS because if you have GSM connection, usually you will have internet connection and there are better apps to send messages than SMS. Maintain a feature means update it write documentation...

There are other reasosn like save space in images, etc.

If people ask for back SMS we could add to the docs some kind of manual to be addded manually (required packages, settings...)
(2019-03-25, 08:33 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2019-03-23, 03:44 PM)Opie91 Wrote: That sounds great. Looking forward to the improvements!

At this time I am not sure that I fully understand the significance of removing SMS support. In my application I would like to be able to receive SMS of signicant data changes, such as bilge levels, from OP while the boat is swinging on its mooring and I'm 1hour 30 minutes away at home.

I see that OpenCPN version 5 was released on 23 March, so that should bring OpenPlotter 2.0 one step closer too Wink .

We have realized that we had too much in the plate. We need simplify OP to be able to maintain all features and our resources are limited. From your feedback we know that very few people was using SMS because if you have GSM connection, usually you will have internet connection and there are better apps to send messages than SMS. Maintain a feature means update it write documentation...

If people ask for back SMS we could add to the docs some kind of manual to be addded manually (required packages, settings...)

It appears as if Telegram will do everything that SMS will and more.

Seems like a good move especially if it simplifies it for the devs.
(2019-03-25, 08:33 PM)Sailoog Wrote:

I can appreciate the desire to simplify OP from the maintenance perspective but SMS has the advantage of bringing new messages to my immediate attention, without needing to open up any other App on my devices, something I don't normally do every day. Notes on how to add SMS back manually would be great.
OK, please remind me this if I forget.

I am sure you will change your mind when you are able to "talk" to your boat by telegram Smile
(2019-03-26, 09:14 PM)Sailoog Wrote: OK, please remind me this if I forget.

I am sure you will change your mind when you are able to "talk" to your boat by telegram Smile

That might well be the case but at this stage, I don't know enough about Telegram. I will need to read up on it.
Hi Sailoog,

I am happy to hear you have support for the MCP2515 CAN controller!

Are you using the SPI connected to GPIO8-11?
Are you using any control signals like #INT, #RESET, TXxRTS or RXxBF?
If so, could you please provide how these are connected to the Pi?

The background is i have ordered some of the 10.1" 1200 nits LCDs
for friends yesterday and i want to use the delivery time to add NMEA 0183
and 2k to a small expansion pcb.

It would be fantastic if it works with OP 2.0 from the beginning!

All the best,
Chris
(2019-03-25, 08:01 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2019-03-23, 10:05 AM)jim321 Wrote: request in network ...choice to disable onboard wifi with dtoverlay and use usb as ap/client....

Why you should need to disable the onboard wifi? to save power?
As usb as ap/client do you mean an external wifi dongle working as ap/client?

simply for range the pi's wifi is weak
and yes external wifi dongle working as ap/client
Some suggestions for your upcoming beta version:

Default OpenCPN Connection configured to 127.0.0.1:10110
Localhost will not work, this will work out of the box.

Kernel updated to latest 4.19.xx
VC4 driver with fake KMS support enabled.
In my testing this seems to be the most stable, fastest, and least resource intensive configuration.
Along with this default the OpenCPN config to OpenGL on, no texture compression chacheing.

Touchscreen driver included or optional.

Music player included or optional.

Thanks for the great distribution you have created.

Cheers,
JM.