This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warning !!! Counterfeit usb gps modules on ebay !!!
Shocked 

Hi folks !
Since a few weeks, ebay is invaded by counterfeit USB GPS modules : after an autopsy of the 1st DOA item, it looks like an antenna, with its coax cable, to which is attached ... an USB connector !

This design, due to a brainless monkey, will not make you loose your money (Paypal refunds within a week), but your time : you will have lost 4 to 6 weeks in your project development, if you needed a gps !!!

I received twice the same bullshit, though after the 1st experience I had ordered a different type, but I finaly received, as a 'replacement', the dummy gps unit(s) !
BTW, ebay doesn't accept the word "bullshit" but the expression 'Cow excrement' doesn't trigger the politeness bot !

Now I shop on Aliexpress, without any illusion ...
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

(2019-03-26, 10:20 PM)Didier B Wrote: Hi folks !
Since a few weeks, ebay is invaded by counterfeit USB GPS modules : after an autopsy of the 1st DOA item, it looks like an antenna, with its coax cable, to which is attached ... an USB connector !

This design, due to a brainless monkey, will not make you loose your money (Paypal refunds within a week), but your time : you will have lost 4 to 6 weeks in your project development, if you needed a gps !!!

I received twice the same bullshit, though after the 1st experience I had ordered a different type, but I finaly received, as a 'replacement', the dummy gps unit(s) !
BTW, ebay doesn't accept the word "bullshit" but the expression 'Cow excrement' doesn't trigger the politeness bot !

Now I shop on Aliexpress, without any illusion ...
Thanks,
Cool

Did you write to eBay, maybe the item and seller will be blocked?

But it's probably also lost time.  A new seller will be created and you're ready to go. 

Thanks again for the info.

Greetings Jürgen
Angel  Entschuldigung für mein Englisch. Es ist "deepl.com english"
PN bitte auf german.  Big Grin
i've seen those i thought it looked wrong, in the description it says
Package List: 1 * Antenna
i have never seen a gps that takes a usb antenna..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-IN-1-Usb-Gps-...fresh=true
(2019-03-27, 08:34 AM)jim321 Wrote: i've seen those i thought it looked wrong, in the description it says
Package List: 1 * Antenna
i have never seen a gps that takes a usb antenna..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-IN-1-Usb-Gps-...fresh=true

Sorry Jim, is your eBay item link the "counterfeit" o ra genuine dual GPS/Glonass?
YES "counterfeit"
usb has usually 4 contacts, how does this map to coax??

Can it be cut and at least used as a gps antenna?
(2019-03-27, 05:32 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: usb has usually 4 contacts, how does this map to coax??

Can it be cut and at least used as a gps antenna?
I would like to find SMA cable connectors to be welded...
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you