This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new project boat
i just took on a new project.. it's a 1978 27' ericson.
it was given to me by a guy that i gave one of my boat's to years ago, when i went cruising and couldn't keep it .
it is also in a yard that is not going to cost me anything to store while i work on it..
a lot of work ahead of me Smile

[Image: GEDC0049.JPG?dl=1]
It seems you will not be bored for the next months Smile
Good luck with this project!!!!!
Free boats. The gift that just keeps giving. I know. I have one lol. Great to hear of your new project. Lots of memories ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love Ericsons! I'm sure you will bring it back to it's former glory.
i went down to the boat and did a little clean up and pumped it out "rain". i found one thing that has to be done that will bug the hell out of me if not fixed.
the rudder post is at an angle towards the bow by design, so the tiller comes up in the middle of the cockpit. i am going cut it out to run it straight up.. i stubbed both feet on that thing on my first day on the boat.. no i dont where shoes unless i am going to a funeral ..lol..   i am thinking of converting it to wheel steering while i am at it.
the main hatch is made from teak, its so thin and completely worn thru on some of the strips. thats first thing on the list to keep the rain out and before i lose pieces of it..i am going to fiberglass over it..i worked for sea-ray boats in the mold shop in my younger yrs ..so i am prolific in glass work..
there's a broken spreader bracket thats been welded once already so ill need to fabricate or cast new one or both of them. they are a crappy aluminum casting that's a known problem with this model boat.
and there's a Yanmar 1gm diesel that's out of the boat. so i have to troubleshoot that also..i am to old to use a sculling oar like sean does.
and of course there's always a $$$ issue..
(2019-05-12, 01:23 AM)jim321 Wrote: i went down to the boat and did a little clean up and pumped it out "rain". i found one thing that has to be done that will bug the hell out of me if not fixed.
the rudder post is at an angle towards the bow by design, so the tiller comes up in the middle of the cockpit. i am going cut it out to run it straight up.. i stubbed both feet on that thing on my first day on the boat.. no i dont where shoes unless i am going to a funeral ..lol..   i am thinking of converting it to wheel steering while i am at it.
the main hatch is made from teak, its so thin and completely worn thru on some of the strips. thats first thing on the list to keep the rain out and before i lose pieces of it..i am going to fiberglass over it..i worked for sea-ray boats in the mold shop in my younger yrs ..so i am prolific in glass work..
there's a broken spreader bracket thats been welded once already so ill need to fabricate or cast new one or both of them. they are a crappy aluminum casting that's a known problem with this model boat.
and there's a Yanmar 1gm diesel that's out of the boat. so i have to troubleshoot that also..i am to old to use a sculling oar like sean does.
and of course there's always a $$$ issue..

Auguries, good job and good wind