This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timeserver
Signal K can set system time from a connected GPS.

Can OpenPlotter configure a time server so that connected devices can get time updates when not connected to the internet.
The signal k set system time plugin is already included in openplotter 1.0.0 and connected devices can get time data from SK server. Is this what you need?
If you are looking to configure an NTP server on your PI, then yes, that can be done. Here's a project that might be a good starting point. https://www.safematix.com/how-to/raspber...erver-gps/
The Signal K plugin sets the time on the node server.
Is there some way for it to set time on other machines ?

I would like to be able to set time on other onboard computers; Linux, win10. I don’t think Apple I devices can specify the timeserver.

So, like what abarrow linked to, but pre-configured in OpenPlotter.
(2019-04-22, 04:38 PM)NahanniV Wrote: The Signal K plugin sets the time on the node server.
Is there some way for it to set time on other machines ?

I would like to be able to set time on other onboard computers; Linux, win10. I don’t think Apple I devices can specify the timeserver.

So, like what abarrow linked to, but pre-configured in OpenPlotter.

A NTP server will serve out time information to all devices connected to your wifi onboard.  It's simple thing to set it up using input from a GPS on USB. Having SignalK as input to the NTP server is unfamiliar. 

I have only made NTP servers with USB-GPS  devices. A small server based on a small NanoPi NEO with a USB-GPS is a very simple option which provides an independent NTP server onboard. But one more device which is a minus.

Ole
Ah ok, now I understand. This should be easier in our case because system time is set every minute by "set system time SK plugin" which is already taken the time from any NMEA 0183/2000 source connected to openplotter. We should just share the system time by the ntp server.

Could anyone who has already done this in openplotter share an example?
Any updates on this one? I'm looking for an answer to exactly the same question. Before I reinvent the wheel I'd rather steal it from someone who has already done it ;-) 

Would be nice if the Openplotter DHCP server would serve the NTP service details to any (DHCP) client.
I did this. After you set up SignalK to set the time in the RPi, you set up a simple NTP server to run on the Pi. Then, you give all the other devices the Pi’s IP address as the time server to connect to. It works fine and there’s nothing else needed besides installing an NTP server onto the Pi. I think I used Chrony, but I can’t remember. Easy to do if you google “how to set up an NTP server on raspberry pi”
(2022-04-27, 01:46 AM)SCarns Wrote: I did this.  After you set up SignalK to set the time in the RPi, you set up a simple NTP server to run on the Pi. Then, you give all the other devices the Pi’s IP address as the time server to connect to.  It works fine and there’s nothing else needed besides installing an NTP server onto the Pi.  I think I used Chrony, but I can’t remember. Easy to do if you google “how to set up an NTP server on raspberry pi”

This link will get you started:

https://rishabhdevyadav.medium.com/how-t...562e41d0e1

But in a nutshell, here's the NTP server install:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install ntp
$ sntp --version (optional)
$ sudo nano /etc/ntp.conf (to make any needed changes to the server settings, as needed)
$ sudo service ntp restart
$ sudo service ntp status (If it says "Active", you're good)

Then you need to point your clients to the IP address of your new server. This will depend a lot on your clients systems. The above article goes into how to setup linux clients further down in the article. In Linux systems, you'll simply add the location of your new NTP server to the client's "/etc/ntp.conf" file and reboot.

Steve
I think this is something we could add to openplotter-settings app.