This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, this is interesting: The Atomic PI is released
I love my RPIs, but this is really interesting, as is the price.

https://dlidirect.com/products/atomic-pi
Looks nice, let us see if they sell 10M pieces....
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Would that run openplotter??
Not the OpenPlotter img - it's for RPI ARM. This is an Intel based system.
Working with ARM servers at work I'm a bit based, but x86-64 is not the most moden architecture. But the Atom processors (remember the Asus eee netbooks ?) is quite capable. But the x86 architecture is not the future. It's only found in desktops, laptops and servers. Mobiles, pads, cars, appliances, etc and general IoT devices run some version of ARM (ARM processors ship about 20x more than x86).

For those who want a more performing ARM single board computers there are a large range, like Orange Pi and Friendly ARM to pick two I have fist hand experience with.
How well OpenPlotter integrate with the different OrangePis are somewhat uncharted waters. They claim to be more or less compatible with RPi. I have on my plan to test a few Orange Pis as a more performing yacht server could be nice. So far most of the time is spent on getting the yacht server project finished (first take). ARm processors are now found from RPi (or even smaller) up to high end servers like HiSilicon (Huawei) 1620 and Marvel/Cavium Thunder X2.

Ole
I guess I don't know enough as to why an ARM based OS doesn't load on any of them?
i.e. has anyone tried to install OpenPlotter on anything other than a raspberry pi?

I believe I'll end up using the open plotter RPi only for data exchange, and run chart plotters on my Zeus2 & iPad, unless we can get a more powerful computer to run it all...?
(2019-05-01, 09:26 PM)sjgharib Wrote: I guess I don't know enough as to why an ARM based OS doesn't load on any of them?
i.e. has anyone tried to install OpenPlotter on anything other than a raspberry pi?

I believe I'll end up using the open plotter RPi only for data exchange, and run chart plotters on my Zeus2 & iPad, unless we can get a more powerful computer to run it all...?

My RPI is plenty fast enough to run Openplotter and everything else - do you have the graphics accelerator turned on? Though it's fast enough even without..
(2019-05-01, 10:41 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2019-05-01, 09:26 PM)sjgharib Wrote: I guess I don't know enough as to why an ARM based OS doesn't load on any of them?

My RPI is plenty fast enough to run Openplotter and everything else - do you have the graphics accelerator turned on? Though it's fast enough even without..

Are you running openCPN?  It just is so slow because there’s so many charts...  it seems to be always loading
(2019-05-01, 11:47 PM)sjgharib Wrote:
(2019-05-01, 10:41 PM)PaddyB Wrote:

Are you running openCPN?  It just is so slow because there’s so many charts...  it seems to be always loading

Are you using ENC charts? If so did you hit the "Prepare all ENC charts" button? This will build all the charts in a format that OpenCPN uses and make opening the charts much faster.
That helped significantly! Thanks! It’s much better now...